51|| Reinforcing with Gods

“Are you-you happy now… Tubbo?”

The weak and gasping voice of the orc echoed in his head like a broken record, like an echo in an empty cave. He trembled as he felt his stomach twist uncomfortably as his eyes landed on the bloodstained claymore he dragged behind him that left a trail of crimson on the gravel.

He felt horrible for being the one who got to kill his sole protector during his stay in the castle, a creeping guilt grabbing him by the back of his head and sending sharp shivers down his spine as tears flooded down his eyes.

“I-I am.”

His irises trembled as huge hands with the disappearing warmth reached up to him.

"I-I'm really sorry… I didn't protect you better…"

"You did great…" Tubbo responded weakly as he placed his hand over the trembling orc's hand to give it a reassuring squeeze. “Really great.”

He never wanted to hurt Alexis, but due to their circumstances, he had no choice but to fight the children of Herobrine. Even if he wanted to save the orc like he did back then, Mumbo's constant hits have forbidden him from doing so.

The scared look in his red eyes only pulled Tubbo's conscience into a tight knot, death is over the horizon for the mob and he’s dreading the time it comes. Why does time move so fast when nobody asked for it yet tick so slow when one wished for it to haste?

“I-I’m so sorry, I should’ve--”

“Do-don’t blame yourself too much… We-we knew this was inevitable…” Mustering it’s final strength, the orc reached up to hold Tubbo’s significantly smaller hands, body cold and trembling. "Don't… don't lose that smile, alright?"

Tubbo watched as Alexis' calm eyes turned hollow and dilated before his body shattered into pieces and dissipated into dust beneath his palms, encouraging the tears the teen was trying to hold back. And like a house made with playing cards, he crumpled to his knees with his weapons falling to his side.

It was all his fault. He should've done better.

If Alexis could risk his own safety to make sure Tubbo was alright every time he was torn into pieces by his father in the dungeons by cleaning him up, sneaking meals and water at night and becoming a friend during those lonely days, Tubbo was sure that he could’ve at least spared the orc.

He knows Mumbo was a better choice to choose since he is a real human after all, but he wasn’t as impactful as his friend that guided him through the dark to meet the rest of the stars.

George, who was absent from the conversion and was occupied with covering Mumbo's dignity as he dressed up after turning human, then spun around to the sobbing Tubbo whose hands were buried into a pile of dust.

With a hand on his aching side and a stagger, he walked to the sobbing male, crouching as soon as he neared.

His hand hovered over the teen's back hesitantly, but when Tubbo started to find breathing a chore, he patted his back and immediately, the teen ran to his arms which shocked the older male who fell to his ass at the sudden action.

Awkwardly, George just laughed and loosely wrapped his arms around the teen's shoulder. At some point his hand started to comb his hair back from his sweaty forehead. He would’ve said something but he thinks he’ll end up making it worse.

His shirt was disgustingly clinging to his skin from his sweat and Tubbo's tears but he can't really do anything about it with the current situation. But god this hoodie was his favourite one.

He felt bad for Tubbo of course, he's cried more than the fishes in a coral reef biome in the past weeks he's been with them. George decided that it was better for the teen to be knocked out than to see him spill more tears.