Chapter 20

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L 

I woke up an hour before my alarm was set to go off. I lay there and looked out the bright blue sky, praying that today would not be a complete disaster that I knew deep down it would be. Finally, after about fifteen more minutes, I decided I would get up and take a shower before Sam got up and wanted in the bathroom to get ready for school. I let the hot water run over the top of my head, hoping to wash away the insecurities. 

Sam opened her bedroom door right as I made it to my door. "Morning, Chelsi. Are you finished in the bathroom for right now?" 

"Morning, Sam. Yes." I closed the door behind me. I always finished getting ready in my room after my morning shower. I would put my makeup on and dry my hair at my vanity. That way, Sam would be able to get ready in the bathroom. 

I pulled my closet doors open, staring at my clothes in desperation, trying to figure out what to wear today for the first day of my fake relationship with Easton. I didn't want to overdo it and go all out, but I didn't want to go to school looking like I crawled out of bed, either. I put my makeup on, then dried and straightened my hair. It wasn't great, but it could've been a lot worse. 

"You look great this morning, Chelsi," Sam said, walking out of her room. 

"It's not too much?" I said, looking down at my outfit. 

"It's perfect." She smiled, walking past and heading downstairs. 

Mom was in the kitchen cooking breakfast while Dad sat at the table eating and reading the paper. "Morning, girls," Mom said, setting glasses down on the island. 

"Morning, Mom," Sam said, hopping up on a stool and taking a drink of orange juice. 

"Morning," I said, taking the seat next to Sam. 

"You look nice today, Chelsi." Mom set a plate of pancakes in front of me.

"Thank you." I smiled as I looked down at the two blueberry pancakes that filled the entire plate. She knew I couldn't resist blueberry pancakes. So this was her way of saying sorry. I cut up my pancakes, then poured syrup all over the cut-up pieces making sure every inch was covered. I stabbed a couple of pieces, and the warm blueberries melted in my mouth. I closed my eyes, enjoying the sweetness as I chewed. 

We managed to eat over half of our breakfast before we had to run out the door so that we wouldn't be late for school. Sam stayed on her phone the entire drive to school, which didn't help me because all it did was leave me alone with my thoughts. I wondered what kind of shit Aaron would try and pull today or if Easton would try and humiliate me again. Then, right as I pulled into a parking spot, Easton's sports car pulled in right next to me. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath in, and exhaled slowly out my mouth. 

Sam grabbed her bookbag and was out of the car before I had a chance to tell her to wait for me. I sat there for a few minutes, hoping Blakely would walk up and I wouldn't have to do this alone. This was such a bad idea. Why did I have to open up my big mouth and ask him to help me? 

"Chelsi? You okay?" Easton asked, opening up my driver-side door. 

"Huh? Yeah? Why do you ask?" I turned around to get my bookbag from behind the passenger seat. 

"You look stressed out." 

"What? No. Everything's fine." I got out of the car. I was looking everywhere but at Easton. I couldn't have told you what he was wearing if someone had asked me.

"Chelsi, then why won't you look me in the eye?" 

"What? I am looking you in the eye. See." I glanced up at him briefly and then looked away again.