Chapter 43

Gavin and I walked into the cafeteria hand in hand, with plenty of eyes on us, including Easton's. Even Savannah and her friends watched us, glaring and whispering as we passed their table. But, of course, they weren't the only ones whispering as we walked by, either. I could hear the whispers as we passed each table. Gavin lightly squeezed my hand, pulling me a little closer to him. Gavin went to get him something to eat once I was seated at our table. Blakely and I sat there for a few minutes before we got up and walked over to the salad bar to grab some veggies and ranch. 

"Chelsi?" Easton said behind me. 

"What?" I said without turning around. 

"I know I hurt you." 

"You did more than hurt me. You humiliated me in front of everyone—more than once. Do you like hurting me?" I slammed the bowl down on the counter. 

"I never meant to hurt you." 

"Well, you did." I glanced over my shoulder. 

"I know."

"Just go, Easton." I sighed. After a few minutes, I didn't hear another word from him, so I turned around to find him gone. I looked around the room and didn't see him anywhere. 

"He left out the doors," Blakely said, looking over at me from across the salad bar. 

We returned to the table where Gavin was eating his sandwich and fries. I set my bowl down and took one last look around the cafeteria in case Easton had walked back into the lunchroom. I don't know why I was looking for him. It's not like I wanted to talk to him or anything. 

"Everything all right?" Gavin asked, looking up at me. 

"Yeah." I slowly sat down in my seat. 

I sat there the rest of lunch, listening to Blakely and Gavin talk about Avery's party on Friday and how everyone would be there. All I knew was that I would drink a lot at the party. I remembered the last time I drank too much at Avery's party. But this time, I had Gavin, and he wouldn't let anything happen to me. 

"Hey, everyone. I heard a familiar voice walking up behind us. It sounded like Avery's voice, but she hadn't talked to us for a while. I had almost forgotten what her voice sounded like. 

I quickly glanced over at Blakely, who looked rather annoyed, which definitely told me it was Avery. Honestly, I didn't blame her for being mad at Avery. She ditched us for her snobby, rich-ass friends. 

"Hi, Avery." I rolled my eyes, keeping my back to her. 

"I hope everyone is still coming to the party on Friday after the football game. Everyone is going to be there." 

"Yeah, we all plan on being there," I said, turning around in my chair. 

"Great! I need to go. See you all there." She walked back over to her new friends. 

She fit in better with them than she did with us. So, it almost made sense why she'd hang out with them more. But Blakely's feelings were hurt by the fact that, as for me, I could've cared less. It didn't bother me like it did her. I let Blakely bitch and complain and never said anything in response. 

                                                                                       *****

I was never so glad for the last bell of the day. I felt like doing something what I had no idea. I didn't want to go to Lilli's to get coffee. Blakely had to head home since she went out with me yesterday after school. She told me she'd text me later, then got in her car and sped out of the parking lot.

"Do you have to head home right away?" Gavin asked. 

"No. Mom is picking up Sam." I unlocked my car. 

"Come on, get in." He walked around his car. 

"Let me go tell my mom real quick," I said. 

"Hurry up." He smiled. 

I walked a few rows over to where Mom was parked as she waited for Sam to come out of school. "Hi, Mom. Do I need to come home right away for anything?" I asked. 

"No. Why? What's up?" She smiled, looking at me and then over toward Gavin. 

"Gavin wants to go do something, and I didn't know if it was okay to go or not." 

"Go have fun. He's good-looking." 

"Mom!" 

"What? I'm just saying." 

"I'm leaving now. I'll be home later." I turned and walked away before she could say anything else. I returned to my car, grabbed my purse from the back seat, and locked it. I asked Gavin where we were going as I got in his car. He turned to me, smiled, and told me it was a surprise. He said we would be there in about thirty minutes. He didn't speed driving out of the school parking lot. I think Mom sitting in her SUV a few feet from us had a lot to do with that. Once we were out on the road a few miles from school, he stepped on the gas a little more. I caught myself stealing glances at him as he drove us through Santa Monica on a busy Wednesday afternoon. A few times, he almost caught me staring at him, staring at the way his lips parted when he concentrated when he drove or how I wanted to feel them on mine. I had to look away a few times so he wouldn't see what I was thinking. I could feel my cheeks starting to blush from the mere thoughts of what it would be like to kiss him. 

"We'll be there in about ten minutes," Gavin said, keeping his eyes on the road. 

"You still aren't going to tell me where we're going?" 

"No. It's a surprise." He reached over and placed his hand on top of mine in my lap. 

Author's Notes:

Something is happening between Gavin and Chelsi!!! What do you think? 

If you like that chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks!