Chapter 31

"Hey, do you two want something to drink? I have a cooler in the back of my SUV." Gavin got up, brushing the sand off him. 

"Sure." 

Gavin took off toward what looked like a brand-new white SUV parked in the distance from the rest of the cars. I sat there and watched him for a few minutes as if he was going to disappear right before my eyes. 

"Who's the guy?" 

I looked up to see Easton standing off to the side of us, looking hot in his black trunks. "None of your business." I got up off my towel. 

Why are you mad at me?" 

"Gee, I don't know, maybe because Savannah showed up last night."

"That wasn't my fault." 

"I was delusional in thinking I could do this. Well, I can't anymore." 

"What's going on?" 

"Nothing." I turned toward Gavin. "He was just leaving." 

"Chelsi, let me explain." 

Gavin dropped the cooler and stepped in between Easton and me. "She doesn't want to talk to you right now." 

Easton peeked around Gavin back at me, not saying a word, turned, and walked away. I leaned my forehead on Gavin's back and heaved a huge sigh. Gavin gave me a minute, then turned around and wrapped his arms around me as I buried my head in his chest. That was one of the things I loved most about Gavin; he knew when I needed a hug without any questions asked. 

Gavin asked if I was okay, got me a water bottle out of the cooler, and then handed one to Blakely. We sat back down on the towels, and I started to tell Gavin about what had happened with Aaron and how I had talked Easton into helping me get rid of him. Blakely had to add the part where I had fallen for Easton, but he was somewhat with Savannah. Gavin sat there with this confused look, not saying a word. 

"Sounds like you've got a mess, Sunshine," Gavin said, looking over at me. 

"Hey, Gavin!" Dylan and some of the guys walked up. 

"Dylan!" Gavin got off the towel, and they hugged each other quickly. 

They stood there and talked for a few minutes; Gavin told them he was back in town for good and would start school in a few days. Dylan invited Gavin to go play football with some of the guys. He told me he would be back in a little bit and told us to help ourselves to whatever was in the cooler. Blakely and I stretched out on our towels and watched the guys play football while we soaked in the sun. Deep down, I'm glad Blakely made me come today because I would've missed out on seeing Gavin. Let's face it, the past week hadn't exactly been the greatest, and I needed something to cheer me up. I laid there for a while and watched Gavin play ball with some of the guys while he knocked down Easton a few times as well. I couldn't deny seeing Easton laid out a few times brought a smile, especially after what happened last night. 

"Who's the hot guy over there?" 

"Avery, did your other friends ditch you for the day?" Blakely asked. 

"Be nice," I mumbled. 

"Fine." She rolled her eyes. 

"Avery, that's Gavin Ross," I said, looking up at her in her tiny black bikini. It's a wonder she wore anything at all to the beach. I could see disgust written all over her face the minute I said his name. After all these years, she has never forgiven him for breaking her heart in the eighth grade. That was a long time ago, and she needed to move past it. True, it was Gavin and his hot self, but Avery was, well, Avery. 

"When did he get back?" 

"Yesterday, and yes, he's back for good." I smiled. 

"Let me guess; you'll want to bring him to the party next Friday." 

"I'll let Gavin know he's invited. Thanks."

"Whatever. I've got to go; I'm going shopping later. Bye." She walked off and waved. 

"How are we friends with her?" Blakely asked, lowering her sunglasses. "Is it me, or does she just scream bitch each time we see her?" She raised her glasses and laid her head back on her towel. 

Blakely wasn't going to get an argument from me. Avery had turned into a bitch, and to be honest, she was acting like her new friends. At this rate, I didn't care to get to know them either. I had a feeling Blakely was going to stop talking to Avery by the end of the school year or sooner. 

I turned my head to get Avery out of my mind and went back to watching Gavin and the guys play football. It was great seeing Gavin out there with everyone. It was great seeing Gavin in general; I'd missed him more than I'd cared to admit. Unfortunately, I got so preoccupied with watching Gavin that I didn't pay attention to who was walking over to us. 

"Chelsi, we need to talk." 

"Easton, I don't want to talk to you." I got up. 

"I thought we were having a great time last night." 

"We were, then Savannah showed up, and everything went to shit." 

"What about me?" 

"Great..." I threw my hands up in the air. 

"Nothing," Easton rolled his eyes.

"Chelsi, everything all right?"  Gavin asked, walking up. 

"Gavin, when did you get back?" Savannah's eyes lit up. 

"Yesterday, why?" 

"We should go out sometime." 

"Savannah, no." 

Blakely started giggling without even trying to hide the fact. I quickly covered my mouth with my hand, trying to muffle my giggles but failing miserably. Savannah's expression wasn't helping either, her lips were pressed together into nothingness, and you couldn't even see the color of her eyes; they were so narrow. Then again, I didn't feel sorry for her after last night. She turned and went back over to her friends. They all turned and looked over at us the minute she reached them, then turned back around and started talking again. 

"Chelsi, can we talk?" Easton asked. 

"I think your girlfriend needs you over there. Her feelings are hurt." I turned to walk away. 

"She's not my girlfriend." 

"Really?" 

"I liked her, and we dated a few times, but we weren't exclusive." 

"Wow...You really are like Aaron." 

"Don't even compare me to him. He's a douche!" 

"He's got a point, Chelsi," Gavin said. 

"What? Since when are you on his side?" 

"I'm not on his side, but comparing him to Aaron is harsh." 

"I can't believe you're sticking up for him after what he did to me last night!" I stomped away. 

Author's Note:

I hope you like the book so far! Chelsi has a lot of feelings to sort through. What do you think? Let me know in the comments and votes. Thanks! A.L.