Part VII

That night, all of the Trolls celebrated. As for the music, DJ Suki decided to put her wooferbug on shuffle so everyone was happy.

That is, except Poppy and Branch.

“You did the right thing, Poppy," Barb told her best friend as she absentmindedly poked a slice of chocolate cake with a fork. “Any of us would have done the same thing if it meant helping our kingdoms. Right guys?"

“Oh, yeah," Prince D. said.

“Totally," King Trollex agreed.

“Sure thing," Delta Dawn nodded.

“I know," Poppy replied, though she was still secretly sad. “If it means no one has to lose a parent, child, friend or spouse, I don't regret anything."

“I regret everything," Branch grumbled to himself. “I should've just let myself get banished, why didn't I get banished?"

“Oh, Branch! Look what I got!" Lavender said in a sing-song voice. “I brought the sheet music for the song Mom and Dad sang when they got married! You should sing this with Poppy while you do your first dance as a married couple!"

“You know I don't sing and dance," Branch pointed out. Could his sister be any more ditsy?

“Okay, then I'll sing while you dance," she insisted. “You have to dance with her, it's family tradition."

“Fine, I'll dance with her," he groaned. “But the song is a duet, who are you gonna sing it with?"

“Hmm... That guy!" Lavender answered, pointing at Dante. “Excuse me, Mister Classical Troll! Would you kindly sing this song with me so the bride and groom can dance to it?"

Dante read the sheet music and was immediately awestruck. “I've never read something with such beauty and romance!" he gasped.

“I'll take that as a yes!" Lavender assumed, and ran to DJ Suki. Dante assembled his orchestra and had them read the song so they could play it.

Poppy, meanwhile, decided to go talk to Branch. Now that they were married, she might as well get used to being around him. She hoped, deep down, there was be something about him she would like and maybe, just maybe, he would like her back.

So, she approached him with her cake, attempted to act casual, and squeaked out, “Hi."

“Hello," he greeted. “How are you?"

“Fine. You?"

“Just fine," Branch answered. After a few seconds of awkward silence, Branch asked, “What's that thing?"

“Oh, it's just a piece of wedding cake," Poppy replied. “Don't south Pop Trolls eat cake at weddings?"

“I don't think so. I've never eaten cake."

Poppy was so stunned, she dropped her plate and it shattered once it hit the ground.

“Oh, sorry," Poppy laughed nervously. “I thought you said you've never eaten cake."

“You heard correctly," Branch assured her.

“What?!" Poppy exclaimed. “What about cupcakes?"