Part XV

“Popsqueak...! Wait...!" Val panted, still running after Poppy. “I'm trying... to tell you... he doesn't... love you...! Just... slow... down..."

Poppy just ignored the Hard Rock Troll and continued on her way. She was only a few feet away from the children's hospital when she began hearing Holly and Branch's voices. At first, Poppy couldn't hear what they were saying, but once she got closer...

“Wait, did you say love?" she heard Holly ask. “You really feel that way?"

“Of course I do," Branch replied.

“Eeeeeee! I don't believe this!" Holly suddenly squealed. “Branch, you little cutie! This is the best news I've heard!"

Poppy went around the corner of the building to find Holly grabbing her husband by the shoulders and giving him a big kiss on his grey lips and Synth was watching with a stunned look. Poppy couldn't believe her eyes.

“Branch!" she exclaimed, feeling betrayed. The three Trolls turned to find her standing there. Both Branch and Synth began to feel nervous.

“Well, this ain't good," Synth muttered.

“Poppy!" Branch said as he pushed away Holly, who was still smiling like an idiot. “Uh... I can explain."

“You don't have to," Poppy insisted in a quiet voice. “This explains everything."

“No, Poppy, you don't understand!" Synth tried to reassure her. “You see, Holly was just excited that Dub–"

“Synth, not now!" Poppy shouted, tears falling from her eyes. “I can't believe I chose you over Creek. At least he actually wanted to marry me. You only did so your mom wouldn't banish you... didn't you?"

Branch was stunned. How would she know that? Unfortunately, his silence was enough for Poppy and she ran off crying. She ran past Val, who was still catching her breath.

“Poppy, what's wrong?" Val asked. “Where are you going now?!"

“I'm gonna find Creek!" Poppy answered. “He was right about everything!"

“What just happened?" Holly asked, confused. Synth just rolled his eyes.

“Dubstep, ain't you gonna go after her?" he asked Branch. “You gotta at least try to talk to her."

“There's nothing to talk about," Branch replied sadly. “I should never have come here. I just ruined everything."

Losing hope, Branch walked away with his arms crossed. Then, came Val.

“Holly..." she panted, “what did you do this time?"

“Nothing," Holly insisted. “Branch told us he loves Poppy, Poppy showed up and for some reason, she got mad at him."

“Wouldn't you be mad if someone kissed your husband?" Synth asked sarcastically.

“You what?!" Val exclaimed.

“I couldn't help it, I just got so happy!" Holly said in her defense. “I kiss a lot of Trolls when I'm that happy!"

“Were any of them married?" Synth asked.

“I think some of them."

“And are they still married?" Val asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah!" Holly answered. “Well... Not to the same people, but... Er..."

Val smacked herself in the forehead. “Great. Thanks to you, Holly, Poppy's running back into Creek's arms and we don't even know where they are."

“We gotta tell Dubstep!" Synth said. “He can help us find her!"

The three Trolls ran towards Poppy's pod, hoping Branch would be home, but all they found was a note and most of his stuff gone. Synth picked up the note and read it out loud.

To whomever it may concern,

I am deeply sorry this couldn't work out. When I first met Princess Poppy, I was arrogant, selfish and irresponsible. My mother made me choose between marrying her to help both our kingdoms or having to live in exile. I regret to say I made the wrong decision. So, I've decided to leave you all and head out into the wilderness where I can never hurt anyone again. I hope the Trolls of Pop Village continue being generous to my people and those of Ornery Grove learn from Princess Poppy's kind heart and selfless nature. And Poppy, I hope you and Creek mend what was broken and learn to love again because I love you too much to keep you from being happy.

My sincerest apologies,
Branch, former Prince of Ornery Grove

“Hey, everyone! Queen Barb is back!" they heard Demo yell.

“It's Princess Lavender!" Loganberry shouted.

“We gotta tell them what happened!" Val said. “Come on!"

“Welcome back, ladies," Hyacinth greeted, helping Barb and Lavender off Mister Bubbles. “Any luck on your quest?"

“Queen Barb!" Synth shouted as he, Holly and Val ran up to them. “We gotta situation! We were at the children's hospital..."

“I'm so sorry!" Holly apologized. “I didn't mean any harm! I just got so excited because..."

“Creek's emotionally manipulative and he's taking advantage of Poppy and..." Val ranted. Unfortunately, none of their words were coming out clearly. So, Barb pulled out her electric guitar and played a loud chord, silencing all three of them as she began a riff.

“Now, when I'm done with this solo," she said, “I want you guys to calmly tell me the important part of this. Understand?"

The trio nodded and Barb stopped playing her guitar. Synth handed her the note and she read it with Lavender and Hyacinth.

“Your highness, did you know about your mother's threat to the prince?" Hyacinth asked Lavender.

“Yeah, but I never told anyone, I swear!" she insisted. “I may be a blabbermouth, but I'm not a liar."

“I heard Creek tell Poppy that Branch told him, but why on earth would Branch do that?" Val wondered.

“We can worry about that later," Barb pointed out. “Right now, we have to find Poppy and Branch before Creek does something terrible."

“We'll split up into groups of two," Hyacinth replied. “Holly, Val, you search over by Misty Meadows. Queen Barb, Princess Lavender, you'll check the Fearsome Forest. Synth, you and I will look by the river."

While everyone else headed for their locations, Lavender hurried over to her garden and Barb hesitantly followed.

“Lavender, babe, what are you doing?" she asked. “We're supposed to be looking for Poppy and Branch!"

“Just need to grab a few things!" Lavender replied, picking a few flowers and berries and scooping a Beating Heart out of the dirt and placing it in a pot. After adding some extra soil, she tucked it safely into her hair along with the plants and a mortar and pestle. “Okay. Now, we can go."

Next time, Hyacinth reveals his past and Poppy discovers a dark truth at a fatal price...

Until next time. 🌈