Part XI

With the Solstice Ball in full swing, all of the Trolls were dancing, mingling, and talking.

Some, however, were looking for a fight.

"Hello, Princess Poppy," Hyacinth greeted. "I hope I'm not interrupting, but I would like to apologize for my behavior last fall and never found the means to."

"What made you wanna come through now?" Rhythm asked.

"R, it's fine," Poppy insisted. "I accept your apology, Captain. I was hoping to make you and the others feel welcome that day and I failed. I'm terribly sorry."

"Don't worry about how we feel," Hyacinth replied. "If anything, we should be worried about you, given how you only married the prince so we could help you. Even though we've been on our own for hundreds of years and never asked for anyone's help when we were in trouble."

"That would explain why you had no food," Synth said without thinking.

"Don't get smart with me, Techno Troll," Hyacinth threatened.

"I thought you we said we have tiny brains," he pointed out.

"What's going on?" Barb asked suddenly, her arm linked with Lavender's.

"This guy's being mean to Poppy," Blues answered.

"Again?" Barb said angrily. None of them noticed Poppy storming off.

"I'm just pointing out the truth, your highness," he said in his defense. "Like that fine young man when he told me the north princess only married your brother for the safety of these Trolls."

"What young man?" Lavender asked.

"He didn't give me a name, but he seemed very intelligent. Even agreed how we shouldn't be fraternizing with Hard Rock brutes."

"You want, brutal? I'll give you brutal!" Barb growled.

"Barb, hold on!" Lavender pleaded, holding her back. "Um, Captain, before my date pulverizes you, could you tell us what this Troll looked like?"

"Oh, very handsome," Hyacinth replied. "Blue hair with a hint of green and a very calm voice with a charming accent."

Barb's muscles relaxed and she said quietly, "That's Poppy's ex."

"I saw that guy before," Lavender said.

"Where?"

"Last fall," she answered. "I noticed a horned diamond snake had been killed and he took some of its venom and put it in a jar of some kind. He said he had to get Poppy back to prove someone wrong."

"Who?" Synth asked.

"I have no idea," Lavender replied. "Maybe I can ask him."

"Hold on," Hyacinth interrupted. "He'll probably get upset that you spied on him."

"And what do you propose we do, then?" Rhythm asked.

"Well, I have heard stories of a Troll named Wind-breeze who lives just outside of Cloud Town," he explained. "If you can find her, she may be able to help you. But I don't recommend going to her in this weather. Best you wait until spring."

"You up for a quest, Poppy?" Blues asked. "Wait, where's Poppy?"

💍💗💐🍾🥂🌹💍💗💐🍾🥂🌹

Branch went to look for Poppy when a romantic song began playing on DJ Suki's wooferbug. He wouldn't say it out loud, but he was hoping he could dance with her.

"Looking for something, sir?" someone asked.

"No, someone," Branch said, not knowing who he was talking to. "Have you seen Princess Poppy?"