Part XIII

TW: This chapter features different forms of abuse (especially towards children)

Queen Barb and Princess Lavender endured blistering cold, scorching heat, intense monsoons and dangerous heights until finally, they made it...

To another campsite.

“Here you go, Mister Bubbles," Lavender said as she fed her saddle spider some Laffodils, which were then Scream-odils.

“What a world!" cried out one of the flowers.

“This Wind-breeze is hard to find," Barb sighed, throwing wood in the fire.

“Yeah, and I'm almost out of Marshtatos," Lavender added. “What good is camping without s'mores?"

“Technically, it'd still be camping," Barb answered. “Just not as fun."

“Fair enough," Lavender replied. “Say Barb, can I ask you something?"

“Sure, go ahead," said Barb.

“How did you and Poppy and all those other Trolls become such good friends? Because we heard of other Trolls in Ornery Grove, but we've just lived in fear of you... and everything that wants to eat us."

“Oh, I'm glad you asked that," Barb replied. “Well, all Trolls used to live in perfect harmony, but a long time ago, the Pop Trolls decided they were the best Trolls and just pushed everyone else away. Angry and confused, everyone else just did the same to each other. Then, about a year ago, the Funk Trolls' spaceship arrived in Pop Village. King Q and Queen E lost their son Cooper to a bird when he was a baby, but they kept looking and they found him with Poppy and some of her friends. After meeting Cooper's parents, she decided to head out and make friends with all of the different Trolls. I admit, I was kinda stubborn, but now, Poppy's one of my best friends."

“And when did all of those other Trolls start moving in to Pop Village?" Lavender asked.

“Shortly before you showed up," Barb answered. “Creek wasn't happy about it, but Poppy thought it would improve our friendships and that's actually why most of them moved there in the first place."

Lavender blinked. “What do you mean, most of them?"

Volcano Rock City
Shortly Before Lavender Showed Up

“Hey, Jeff!" Val said angrily to the club owner. “How come you're only paying me half what the rest of my band gets?"

“I pay what I think you're worth, sweetheart," he answered indifferently.

“But she's our lead singer!" Demo argued.

“Demo, I got this," Val insisted, and turned back to Jeff. “You see, man, I have this rule about not letting Trolls like you tell me what I'm worth, so y'know, unless I get paid like everyone else, I'm outta here."

“Pfft! This is the only club in town," Jeff pointed out. “Where else are you gonna play?"

“I have no idea," Val admitted, “but I'm sure as hell not sticking around here. Let's go, Demo."

“C'mon, guys! We're hittin' the road!" Demo said to the rest of the band, who excitedly packed up their instruments.

“Whoa, wait a minute! You gotta do the encore!" Jeff said as the band headed out the back door. “Hey, Thundershock!"