Valentine's Day

"Shall I draw you?" I asked my cat, Toby, in a hushed tone, tilting my head to the side slightly.

He gave a small, just as quiet, meow in response as I stared at him, lightly tapping my pencil on the sketch pad I had put in front of me.

Toby and I were quite the duo in this place. I hadn't been an Avenger for very long, only around three or four months now and I kept to myself really. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't antisocial at all and everyone here considered me a friend just as much as I considered them one too. As a matter of fact I had lots of friends here, really close ones too. Like Tony and Bruce. Or Wanda, who was the first friend I ever made here.

Carol and Peter are my best friends. We all have the same interests, same humour, same everything really.

But all that said, I spent the most time with my cat Toby. My abilities, as you might call them, are pretty close to telepathy I suppose. That's the easiest way to explain it. It's important to know this because these powers mean I can technically communicate with Toby. Well, not exactly. But I know exactly what he is thinking. Mentally he responds to everything I say, even though to others it just comes out as a meow, or even just a look, I know what he's saying. He understands me and I understand him. The team don't actually know that I can do this, although, it makes a lot of sense. They just haven't put 2 and 2 together quite yet.

I almost liked that they didn't know. Having this secret bond with this little furry guy that loves me has it's perks. Especially when it comes to disclosing feelings or secrets. I know Toby has my back. You know... because he can't exactly tell anybody.

"Cool. Maybe lay just there and I'll sketch you okay Tobes."

I was sat at the dining room table in the compound sort of on my own, under the dim, warm lights that sit above the table. Right ahead of me I have a good view of the living room where a few people sit watching a movie. There's Clint, Steve, Maria and Natasha. I can't tell what they're watching but that's because my attention was all on her.

Natasha.

Like any childish love story it all began when we met. Undoubtedly she was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. Everything about her was perfect and on top of all of that she's a very sweet and likeable person.

Having developed these feelings so early on, interactions with her became hard in a way. I would never avoid them. God no. But I would be a much more nervous version of myself around her. Naturally I was already a shy individual as it is. But in the awkward sort of way, you know. But she was always so confident and understanding when talking to me. She'd always prompt the conversation out of silence when we first started talking to one another.

She would always ask about me and what things I like. Shows, books, movies, music, hobbies, anything. She'd ask about Toby and what he's like and where he likes to be rubbed. I like talking to her.

But I would never act on any of my feelings. It was just such an overwhelming thought. She was so pretty and confident and loved by everyone. There's no chance. And I have come to terms with that.

I stared at her as she watched the movie intently. It doesn't mean she still isn't the prettiest girl I know. Sometimes I do wish I was more outgoing and actually had the balls to make some sort of move.

I heard Toby huff, realising I'd been staring too long and got back to my drawing.

"Oh, sorry buddy." I apologised quietly.

As I absentmindedly began shading his features I looked back up at her. You know... Valentine's Day is coming up. Maybe I could test the waters. Maybe do something for her. Get her a gift or a card, or maybe write her a letter. Anonymously of course. Maybe that could be my way of getting in. I should do it.