six

╔═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╗
𝗵𝗶𝗺
╚═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╝

"So I got these off Miu, while you were out with Kokichi yesterday. I was going to ask you about what you thought- but you seemed pretty preoccupied." Kaede held out the cameras she planned to set up in the library in her upturned palms.

"Preoccupied? You could've just come up to me you know..." Shuichi scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.
"I didn't want to disturb your little date, that's all." Kaede winked and stepped backwards, heading to where she was planning to set up the cameras.

"D-date? Kaede- it wasn't a date!" Shuichi could feel his skin turning red at an alarming rate.
"Whatever you say. Now help me set up these cameras!"

The pair were in the library, after a very suspicious find. One of the bookcases opened, and with the help of Shuichi a couple days before, Kaede and he determined that the hidden door could only be used by the mastermind. Shuichi had promised to help investigate, but he got a little distracted by a certain someone.

They started setting up the cameras at the far end of the library, chatting as they did so. Shuichi found that Kaede gave some pretty good advice.

"So how did it go with Kokichi yesterday? Did he tell you anything useful?" Kaede asked, setting the camera in place.
"Uhm- no not really. Just personal stuff I guess." Shuichi mumbled.
"I see. Deep talks?"
"I guess you could say that."

Kaede stood up with a sigh and brushed her hands off.

"You know, the way those books are arranged really annoys me. Can you grab that ladder over there? I want to rearrange them. I'm kinda a perfectionist." Kaede laughed. Shuichi raised a brow, but complied, bringing the ladder and propping it up against the bookcase.

"You didn't strike me as much of a perfectionist."
"Well, you learn something new every day." Kaede replied, stepping up the ladder.

"So, what did you learn about Kokichi?"
"Uhm..." Shuichi hesitated. Kokichi trusted Shuichi with personal information and Shuichi wasn't one to betray trust. After all, he wouldn't know if Kokichi would get upset with Kaede knowing his secrets, or in other words, his personal life.

"Not much, he just wanted to talk about me..." Shuichi looked down and picked at his nails.
"What did you and Rantaro get up to?" He changed the subject.
"Oh, us? Nothing much... he just painted my nails again." Kaede gazed at her nails with a soft smile.

"Sounds like a date." Shuichi mumbled with a sly smile.
"Gah! Don't use my own words against me!" Kaede looked down, shocked, her cheeks scarlet. Shuichi giggled to himself.

He watched as she turned back to arranging the books, something that seemed oddly unusual. She didn't need to arrange the books, and it looked like it was quite the task. She was huffing a puffing, standing on her tiptoes to reach the very back.

"You know Shuichi-" Kaede started, snapping Shuichi out of his thoughts. "I don't understand why you chose him."
"Him?" Shuichi questioned.
"Kokichi, I mean. He's so... well, you know. He's a liar and a nuisance."
"A nuisance? He's not a nuisance." Shuichi defended.
"Hmm, I don't know. He's annoying."

Shuichi folded his arms, looking at the back of her head as she rearranged the books above him.

"He isn't annoying."
"Are you kidding? He so is. There's nothing special about him, either." Kaede smiled to herself, out of Shuichi's view.
"He's- he's not 'not special'."
"He's boring." Kaede continued.
"What-? Well, you might think he's boring but you don't know him like I do. I actually quite like him." Shuichi mumbled, tensing his folded arms and looking away.