thirty

╔═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╗
𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝘆 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝗮𝘆 𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗱𝗯𝘆𝗲
╚═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╝

"Please, please, please please please." Shuichi repeated, sprinting through the maze-like halls to get to the hangar. He didn't know how much time he had left, but he couldn't waste even a second.

Maki had stayed outside. Kiibo had seen her from the window of his lab and made his way down, and was consoling her by the time Shuichi was back.

Shuichi didn't know who was dying. Kaito, Kokichi... Maki didn't specify. He just knew that both of them had been inflicted, and only one was surviving. The other... well, their life was in his hands.

If it was Kaito... god. Shuichi wouldn't know what to do. Kaito was a brother to him, a best friend, a member of his family. Shuichi considered Kaito to be his closest friend; his enthusiastic, outgoing personality was the exact opposite of Shuichi's personality. He was quiet and reserved, but Kaito's extroversion complimented it perfectly. Two halves of a whole, platonic soulmates; twin flames if you will.

But if it was Kokichi? Shuichi thought back to Maki's question. 'Would you be sad if Kokichi died?' Was this... her plan all along? To kill Kokichi? It wouldn't be out of character for her. She despised Kokichi with every fibre of her being. Everyone did. Everyone but Shuichi. The only person that loved Kokichi, accepted him and saw the truths behind his never ending wall of lies- was Shuichi. He was Kokichi's soulmate. His only love, his only reason to keep going.

If it was Kokichi, Shuichi didn't know if he'd be able to carry on anymore.

He wasn't ready to say goodbye. Not to either of them.

So he ran. He ran until his legs burned and ached. He ran until he finally reached the hangar, his chest wheezy and heart palpitating in his chest.

The shutters were closed. Shuichi stumbled up to them, the bottle in his hand.

"Kaito! Kokichi!" He yelled, bringing his free hand up to pound against the metal shutters. The sound rippled and ricocheted, but Shuichi didn't stop. "Please! Open the door!"

His voice felt like sandpaper running up his throat, scratching his insides with each strained shout. He continued to pound against the shutters, ignoring the pain in his fist.

"I've got- I've got an antidote! Please, please open the shutters!" He cried.

"Shuichi?!" A voice came from the other side of the shutters. A deep voice. Kaito's voice.
"Kaito! Kaito open the door!"
"I- oh my god. I- I'm trying!" Kaito's voice was panicked and sent shivers down Shuichi's spine. Was he too late?

A bang and a screeching metal whirring noise came from the shutters before him as it slowly rose. Shuichi dropped to his knees, the bottle tight in his fist.

"Kaito! Where is Kokichi?"
"He's- oh man. Oh man. I don't know if-" Shuichi looked under the shutters as he watched Kaito run toward the hydraulic press.

As soon as the shutters were raised enough, Shuichi slipped under them and pushed himself off the ground, staggering to his feet.

The room was so eerily cold. Shuichi could feel his hairs stand on their ends. No. This was so, so, so wrong. It felt truly empty, devoid of humanity. Kaito struggled to reach under the press, tugging at something under it.

"Where is- oh- no. Please don't-" Shuichi felt his breath hitch in his throat. He stumbled over to the press, and watched helplessly as Kaito pulled Kokichi from under the press.