twenty - three

╔═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╗
𝗜 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗜'𝗺 𝗶𝗻 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲
╚═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╝

Shuichi was beginning to enjoy night time.

Previously, he'd dreaded it. After the first killing, Shuichi had laid awake most nights staring at the ceiling blankly, his eyes devoid of any emotion. He would feel like an empty shell. That's how it always was at night time; when there was no distraction, nothing to take his mind off the harsh reality that he was faced with. But... not when he slept next to Kokichi.

Kokichi was beginning to enjoy night time.

Of course he never liked the night. The fear of darkness, the nightmares that would jolt him awake surrounded by sweat and despondency. They rattled him to his core. Kokichi would suffer with these night terrors, insomnia and reoccurring waves of somniphobia. Sleeping to him was like re-entering his past. But... not when he slept next to Shuichi.

The room was dark. Something Kokichi didn't particularly enjoy, but he was with Shuichi, and Shuichi felt warm, and safe.

Kokichi's hand held tight onto Shuichi's nightshirt. They were both lay on their side, both facing inwards. Kokichi's head rested on Shuichi's arm, and his face was buried in the soft fabric of his pyjama top. Shuichi was holding the smaller close, breathing in the sweet smell of Kokichi's hair as he inhaled and exhaled gently. He smelled like... the grape smelly stickers teachers would give him in elementary school. That was the thing; Monokuma, or the mastermind, loved to give the students character. So, Kokichi had the fragrance of sugary grape soda, and Shuichi's scent was like warm lavender and coffee. Or, perhaps the coffee aroma was simply due to his addiction to the beverage.

Kokichi bathed in the heat surrounding him. The covers were up to his neck, and he was almost cocooned in Shuichi's arms. Their soft breathing was the only sound prominent in the silent emptiness of the room. Nightmares didn't exist in that bed, not when they were so close, so comforted, so safe and content.

Occasionally, Shuichi would wake up in the night feeling cold. But when he squinted through the darkness and waved his arm to try and find Kokichi again, he was met with a rolled up blanket containing a very warm Kokichi who had somehow wriggled himself away from Shuichi and stolen all of the covers. Shuichi would stare at his silhouette blankly through the light devoid room. Sometimes, he'd leave Kokichi to sleep comfortably in the blankets and suffer through the cold, but sometimes, he'd pull him closer and hold him like a human-sized hot water bottle.

Kokichi didn't fail to kick, either. Sprawling himself out and almost bruising Shuichi in the process. That's how he was, either a blanket thief or a kick in the face. These times, Shuichi would endure it, or just grab him and wrap his arms around him so that he couldn't seriously injure either of them.

But no matter what, they'd wake up in each others arms, perfectly refreshed after a soothing night of sleeping in each other's presence.

So, that was why they liked night time.

——— ☆ • ♧ •  :🃏: • ♧ • ☆ ———

Shuichi didn't wake up with Kokichi in his arms. Actually... it seemed to be quite the opposite. He could feel a faint tugging on his scalp as Kokichi twirled his hair around his fingers. Shuichi was lay on his front, between Kokichi's legs, his head resting on his stomach. Kokichi seemed to already be awake, proven by the braid upon Shuichi's head that once was an ahoge.

The shorter looked down at him with admiration that Shuichi couldn't see.

"Morning, Shumai." He whispered.
Shuichi replied with a muffled noise, one which was supposed to be a 'morning'. But he was tired and comfortable, so he didn't bother moving. Kokichi smiled gently at him.