dark side.

Before Delilah knew it, she was scrambling down the hospital hallways, charts in hand tracking down Dr. Vandenberg who was apparently notoriously bad for finishing his paperwork. It was like he saved all of charts from the beginning of the week for Delilah to organize and return to the correct patient. Granted, Melissa did warn her during her tour that this was probably what would keep her busy for the first few weeks of her job while she learnt the ropes. Delilah wasn't going to complain but she could create painful scenarios in head that would involve Dr. Vandenberg being buried alive in his own paperwork.

While Delilah thought of Dr. Vandenberg in a paper cut tornado as she returned Mrs. Anderson's chart to her room, she heard the alarm of a heart monitor beginning to sound. With the hallway empty and no one making their way over (the hospital was severely understaffed), Delilah placed her charts on a nearby cart and made her way towards the sound.

Glancing quickly at the cart by the door she took note of the name of the patient.

"Hi Peter, my name is Nurse Delilah and I'm here to help you." Taking a quick assessment of the situation, Delilah saw Peter sitting in a chair facing the open window. His head rolled slightly to the side and the monitor which was normally secured to his index finger was instead dangling from the end of his open hand.

With a sigh of relief, Delilah moved towards Peter and gently picked up his warm hand to reconnect his monitor.

"You gave me a bit of a fright, Peter," Delilah whispered. She wasn't sure why but she thought whispering would be a more calming approach for Peter as he didn't appear to be acknowledging her presence in the room. As she finished fiddling with his sensor, Delilah gently placed his hand back onto is lap. Looking up into his face, she her eyes widened as she took in the numerous burn marks.

"Oh Peter, what happened to you?"

"There was house fire a few years ago." Delilah looked at the door way to see Melissa leaning against it. "A family was trapped inside and Peter was one of the only survivors. Unfortunately, now he is comatose and has been staying here ever since."

Delilah looked at Peter with sadness in her eyes. Grasping his limp hand in her's she turned to Melissa. "Is he alone?"

"For a while he was but recently his nephew has started to visit. I think he just moved back to town. I'm not too familiar with Peter's case as he is generally on Jennifer's rotation. In fact, I'm not sure where she is right now as she is supposed to be on this floor. Maybe I'll page her."

Melissa left to find Jennifer leaving Peter and Delilah alone again.

Looking into Peter's unfocused eyes, Delilah combed Peter's hair away from his forehead. "I'm sorry Peter that this happened to you and I hope you are able heal. Nobody deserves to be alone."

Just as Delilah was ensuring Peter's blankets were secure in his chair someone cleared their throat aggressively in the doorway. Delilah looked up only to see the annoyed face of Jennifer.