𝟏𝟗|distracted

∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

Callie had gone straight home after Kiara's to get some makeup so that she could pass as a Kook for the night. Finn was at his friend's house and her dad was at the store but her mum was working on her latest artwork in her study. Callie was planning to leave when she heard her mother call her name.

Walking into the study, Callie leaned against the doorframe. "Sorry, I was going to come in but I didn't want to distract you from your work."

"I'm more than happy for you to come and distract me, you know that," her mother laughed as she put down her paintbrush. Turning around and looking at her daughter, her brows raising slightly.
"You look nice, are you going on a date or something?"

Callie choked on a laugh, shaking her head, "Definitely not. Why was that your first guess, who would I be going on a date with?"

The girl felt nervous for some reason. Why could she feel her cheeks burning? What did her mum think? Did she know about Callie's sort've feelings for JJ? 

No, she couldn't have. Even John B didn't know and he was her best friend who she saw practically every day.

Mrs Merrick shrugged, "You don't need to be defensive, I was just wondering. You don't wear make up a lot, that's all."

Callie released a small sigh, somewhat relieved. She was quick to laugh it off so that her mum didn't think too much into it. "Right, sorry. I- uh- I don't know why I'm so jumpy."

Her mum nodded slowly, doing her best to contain a smile. Mrs Merrick knew there was someone in her daughter's life but she wasn't sure who it was - she just hoped that Callie would tell her when she was ready.
"Alright. So, if it's not a date, then where are you off to tonight?"

"Just some party that Kiara invited me to," Callie shrugged, trying to make it seem like no big deal in the hopes that her mum might maybe just gloss over it.

The woman did not, in fact, gloss over it.
Her mother thought for a moment, crossing her arms, "Midsummers? That's not just some party, Callie. Besides, I didn't think that would be your scene. Do you even have anything to wear?"

Jennifer Merrick had nothing against the Kook side of the island, especially considering that a lot of them came to her for art pieces and were willing to pay large sums for her work. But that was the adults; she knew how the teenagers on both sides acted and how they would treat her daughter at such an event. Kiara was the only reason she hadn't immediately said no.

"I've never been to a party like this, so I guess we'll find out," Callie told her mum. "Kiara's lending me a dress. I just haven't put it on yet because I don't want to ruin it before I even get there."