Chapter 4

When Saskia had finally finished her work and sent all the e-mails, she turned off her iMac

When Saskia had finally finished her work and sent all the e-mails, she turned off her iMac. A bit stiff from sitting for so long, she got up and took her bag out of the closet and put on her jacket. Actually, all she wanted to do now was leave, but if she didn't let her boss know, he certainly wouldn't be so pleased.

She walked through the half-dark corridor and went to his spacious office. She briefly stopped in front of it and saw Mister Shahbandar sitting at his desk. Actually, he didn't look so grumpy sitting there so relaxed and leafing through some magazine.

Saskia knocked lightly on the glass door and Shahbandar immediately looked up.

She was about to turn away when he motioned her to enter. Saskia opened the door with a swing and now stood in his office for the first time and that after a year in this company.

"Sir, I'm done. I'm going to go home now," she said to him, watching him close the magazine and put it aside.

"All right, I'll come downstairs with you in a second. My driver is already waiting," Lionel spoke as a matter of course, looking at her and standing up. He turned off the light in his office and held the door open for his employee.

Saskia stepped outside the office and felt uncomfortable. Never before had anyone in the company paid her so much attention. He was behaving almost like a gentleman. Her notorious boss, of all people, with his difficult character.

Together they went to the elevators. Lionel pressed the button and a short time later it opened. As soon as they entered, they both wanted to press the button for the first floor at the same time and their fingers briefly touched.

Saskia quickly withdrew her hand. "Excuse me boss," Saskia said quickly.

But Lionel didn't say anything in response, he just looked at her and even smiled slightly at that. Saskia was getting more and more confused, she was already expecting one of his so famous rants.

Hopefully the elevator finally opened its doors, Saskia thought to herself. Mister Shahbandar made her all nervous and his expensive perfume filled the whole cabin, which didn't exactly relax the whole situation. He smelled damn good. Saskia had to admit it secretly, he really wasn't bad looking, but his character was rather questionable and his age was another thing of its own anyway.

Although, if she was honest, she never had any problems with him. But the endless break room stories flew again in Saskia's memories, there one got nevertheless so some. Whether it was all true, or just rumors and made-up stories, one could never be sure.

Finally, after a seemingly endless time, the elevator on the first floor opened and they both stepped out into the entrance hall.

Wordlessly, they passed through it together and went outside. It had finally stopped raining and the cold but clean air of London hit them.

Saskia quickly said goodbye to her boss and walked to the bus stop without turning around again.

Lionel walked more slowly than usual to his Rolls-Royce, which was already waiting for him, and looked briefly at his employee. He had never actually noticed her before, he mused, as he yanked open the door of the car and sat inside. "Home," he ordered curtly, looking out the window. Slowly, evening London passed by, the still rainswept streets reflecting the many lights.

Slowly Mihai drove the limousine through the streets of London. Today his boss was unusually quiet. Normally, he always had something to complain about or comment on. At a red light, Mihai briefly glanced in the rearview mirror and saw Lionel staring out the window, completely lost in thought. Very unusual for him, but maybe today he was just more preoccupied with work than usual.

But Lionel was thinking of completely different things while he looked at the lights of the night. For whatever reason, he was preoccupied with today's situation outside his office. Normally he never allowed any unnecessary thoughts, but he just couldn't stop it today. He was probably getting old now, too, he thought. Usually he was able to focus quite well, but today he somehow failed to do so.

The matter with the analysis of his book was somehow strange. Why had the inconspicuous employee, whom he had never really noticed before, given him the folder? That would have been the task of his assistant. His thoughts went round in circles. Lionel was determined to find out what this was all about.

In the meantime, Saskia had arrived at the apartment and rummaged around under the bed to find her old gym bag. When she finally found the dusty piece, she started stuffing a few clothes into it. After that, she still went to the bathroom and gathered all the necessary utensils.

Her cousin could surely lend her something in case she forgot anything, after all she had her own room there too. She had grown up there, more or less. Full of anticipation, she did the rest of the things and put everything together.

Exhausted from the long and busy day, Saskia went to the kitchen and got herself a glass of tap water. With some momentum, she sat down on the kitchen sideboard and let her gaze wander over the small room. Her feet dangling in the air, she was glad to escape from this small apartment for a few days. With a quick glance at the clock she decided she'd better go to sleep, after all she had to get up early tomorrow.

Saskia jumped back down to the floor and rinsed the water glass she had just used and dried it with a cloth. She quickly put it back in its place, so that her roommate wouldn't complain. Slowly she went into her room and yawned heartily. Saskia set an alarm clock on her cell phone so that she wouldn't oversleep. But she would quickly go to the bathroom, because there was no time for a shower in the morning.

Mihai stopped the limousine in front of the main entrance. Lionel had meanwhile arrived at his estate, impatiently opened the car door and stormed towards the entrance portal in his usual goose step. No sooner had his butler opened the front door for him than all his pets rushed out to meet him. The only thing that still gave him real happiness were his animals.