Chapter 55

Lionel stopped as a precaution

Lionel stopped as a precaution. Aggressive people were not to be trifled with, and this one didn't look like he would be quick to calm down.

"I'm Mister Shahbandar, Saskia's boss," he said confidently.

"Former boss, more like," Sam corrected him, his voice booming. He was still holding the pitchfork in the air. "You're a fucking son of a bitch! What are you doing here anyway? Are you trying to hurt our Sia again? Don't you think enough is enough by now?" he continued to bombard the lord with his loud voice.

Lionel wasn't very surprised at the emotional outburst, so he immediately said, "I've made some mistakes, that's why I'm here, but I'd rather discuss this matter with Saskia in person."

"Apart from the fact that you wouldn't be able to get past me anyway, I must tell you that Saskia is not at home at the moment! You're pretty late in coming up with the idea of showing up here and apologizing!" continued Sam. He would do anything for Sia, and that rich man was a thorn in his side right now.

"It's still between Saskia and me alone to sort these things out!" now objected Lionel, who was getting tired of the conversation.

"Not when I see how badly my cousin is doing, and that even though the matter was over a month ago!" interjected Sam.

Shahbandar swallowed and conceded defeat for now. He wouldn't get anywhere like this anyway. Whether Sassy was present now or not, he couldn't tell. "All right, I understand. We won't get anywhere like this," Lionel said curtly, "I'll give you something, with the request to pass this package on to Saskia. Whether she wants to meet me again after that or not, we'll just leave it up to her."

Sam nodded and reluctantly had to admit that Sia alone had the right to take over this decision. Therefore, he too relented and lowered his pitchfork. "All right. Give me the package and see that you get off my property. You are not tolerated here again until Sia gives the okay," Sam concluded.

Shahbandar wasted no time and walked to his car. He opened the passenger door and took out a small box wrapped in black. He had already anticipated that he might not be able to reach her, so he had also written a letter, which he now handed to her cousin along with the gift.

Sam took over the whole thing and brought it into the house. The lord had not really said anything more to him and was just driving away.

Saskia walked by the old graveyard of Wolferton and examined the dilapidated tombstones. It began to rain lightly, so she decided to go inside the church. She sat down in one of the last pews and listened to the whistling of the wind as it swept across the roof.

She found the area and the sleepy atmosphere of the place simply wonderful. It was still her dream to live here. But one thing had changed fundamentally. In the past, she hadn't cared whether she lived alone or with a partner. Since she had fallen in love with the lord, she knew that her ultimate goal was to spend a life together with someone.

By now, the rain was pelting down harder on the roof of the church and the whistling of the wind had swelled to a howl. Sia began to shiver slightly. She was protected from the forces of nature inside, but the temperatures inside the church were not very inviting.

Lionel had driven the car alone today, because he felt that it was none of Mihai's business what happened between him and Sassy. Besides, a small part of him had hoped to take her with him, although he knew full well that this wish was completely unrealistic.

The weather had deteriorated rapidly in such a short time that he therefore decided to go to the small stud farm and wait out the worst. His way took him past the local church, but he paid no further attention to it.

When the lord arrived, he walked quickly in the rain to the entrance of the house. He took off his jacket in the entrance hall, as it was completely soaked. He had not given notice to the housekeeper so that he could continue to look after the house and keep everything in good repair.

"Lord Shahbandar," the latter said in surprise as he stepped into the entrance hall.

"It's raining dogs, cats and lions out there. Since I was just in the area, I figured I'd wait out the worst of it here," he countered, walking into the dining room.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" the servant asked intently, following the lord into the room.

"I'd love one," he replied, and sat down in a comfortable armchair by the open fireplace, where a small fire was crackling.

A short time later, the man came with a tray of tea and cookies. He put it down on a side table. Immediately he added a few logs to the fire, so that the warmth would be intensified. He also hung the lord's jacket, which had been carelessly thrown away, on a chair next to the fire so that it could dry.

Lionel was completely unaware of all this. He was worried about Saskia. Where on earth was she? Her cousin hadn't mentioned any of this. He fervently hoped that she was safe. The weather was very unbearable right now. It was only when the employee spoke to him that he snapped out of his train of thought.

Saskia realized that the weather situation was not going to get any better. It all didn't help, she would go home now. She wrapped the scarf around her head and walked as fast as she could, towards the farm.

Finally she arrived and breathed a sigh of relief. She had gotten wet down to her underpants. A hot shower and a cup of tea would do wonders now.

"Sia! Unfortunately I didn't know where you went, otherwise I could have picked you up. You didn't have your cell phone with you either, unfortunately," Sam spoke to her. The latter had just gone into the front building, as he had heard the front door.

"Your former boss was here and left something for you," he told his cousin.

"Lionel was here?" she asked in surprise.  She would have liked to see immediately what he had brought her. But soaking wet, there was absolutely no point.