Chapter 13

Lionel had seen from the tip of Saskia's nose that she didn't seem to like the situation with the printer

Lionel had seen from the tip of Saskia's nose that she didn't seem to like the situation with the printer. He had simply had far too much experience with people and could read a lot in their faces. That only made him smile even more. No, he would certainly not get bored with Saskia, he could already say that with certainty.

The day passed surprisingly quietly and smoothly. Saskia was surprised that no one wanted to see the boss. The workplace itself was very unfamiliar, somehow she felt like she was on a display. Meanwhile, she wondered why she had wanted to be the assistant for so long. In her small office she at least had some privacy, but the salary increase would cancel everything out. She would just have to come to terms with the new job and her boss.

With mixed feelings, she thought about tomorrow night's dinner. Maybe she should go back to a clothing store tonight and buy a dressier blouse so she wouldn't look completely out of place. She was sure it would be a posh restaurant, surely her boss wouldn't settle for anything else.

Saskia looked at the clock and realized that it was already so late. She would leave now, because she really wanted to look in a store and try to find something suitable.

She got up and knocked on the office of Mister Shahbandar. The latter looked up and faced her through the glass door and motioned for her to enter.

"I would call it a day, or do you need anything else sir?" spoke Saskia.

"YOU. It means do YOU need anything else," Lionel immediately corrected her.

Saskia pressed her lips together, the whole thing was getting on her nerves already. Did he want to provoke her? At least that's how it seemed to her. She would see how the meal went tomorrow, otherwise she would have to think of a solution.

But she pulled herself together, she didn't want to let him get her down on the first day. He was probably just testing her.

"I'd call it a day, or do YOU need anything else?" she repeated her words again, emphasizing the you word extra, with a slightly sarcastic undertone.

"No, I don't need anything more. YOU can go. But don't forget that we have a date tomorrow night," he replied with a smug grin, raising an eyebrow at that and looking at her waitingly.

"Of course not, how could I forget," she replied and simply walked out of the office without wishing him a nice evening. He shouldn't have this one at all, she thought to herself, and this time she took the stairs. She had to move, she had to reorganize her thoughts. She always got nervous easily in his presence and she hated that feeling. Especially when he looked at her so intensely, she couldn't interpret his looks at all. Besides, it seemed to her as if he was constantly trying to lure her out of her reserve and thus somehow challenge her.

In the meantime, Saskia had arrived outside and was glad to have escaped this strange day. In passing she saw Shahbandar's limousine standing to the side, probably she would have to ride in it tomorrow. She took the first bus that brought her to the next shopping street, there she wanted to try her luck.

Saskia went into a clothing store where she knew that they also carried something in larger sizes. She had already found something suitable there several times. Still lost in thought about what had happened, she rummaged more or less listlessly through the racks of clothes. Always the same theater, when it came to something nice to wear. What was hanging around reminded her more of potato sacks in different colors and patterns, really impossible!

Annoyed, she turned away and went a little further back into the store, hoping to find something useful. She did not want to go to another store. After a long search, she found what she was looking for and took two blouses in her size to the changing room.

Since she was already wearing black pants anyway, she could estimate quite well how she would look tomorrow at dinner. She got rid of the dark blue blouse she was wearing and put on the black model. This one had delicate silver threads running through it. However, it was so subtle that it didn't look ridiculous and Saskia liked that exceptionally well. She turned back and forth in front of the mirror and immediately decided on this one and got dressed again. When she had paid, she made her way home.

Tired from the day, Saskia really just wanted to put her feet up, but she still had to make dinner and wash her blouse, since she needed it tomorrow. At least her roommate wasn't there, she got on her nerves most of the time because she talked so much and never seemed to catch her breath.

Saskia removed the labels from the newly purchased piece of clothing and turned it inside out so that the delicate threads would not be damaged during washing. She stuffed the blouse into an additional laundry bag and threw it into the small washing machine, along with her black cloth pants. Even though the apartment was puny and only functional, they had allowed themselves the luxury of buying the smallest model.

After starting the machine, she went to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. She took out the food she wanted and put everything on the small sideboard.

Saskia stood and chopped the iceberg lettuce and threw it into the bowl. To this she added tomato wedges, cucumber slices and a mozzarella. She seasoned the whole thing with vinegar, basil oil, salt and pepper. She took the salad bowl, a slice of brown bread and sat down with it at the small table, which had room for only two people. Slowly she ate her dinner, listening to soft music and still reminiscing about the short vacation with her cousin.

When Saskia had eaten everything, she washed the used utensils and put them on the shelf to dry. Then she lay down on the bed and continued to listen to music until the machine's quick wash cycle was finally done. She quickly hung up the laundry and finally got ready for bed. The last confused thoughts before she fell asleep belonged to her headstrong boss, Lord Lionel Shahbandar.