Chapter 18

The next day, Saskia sat at the desk, slightly groggy from the day before

The next day, Saskia sat at the desk, slightly groggy from the day before. At least Lionel was not here yet and she had her peace from him. She still couldn't figure out what his behavior yesterday was supposed to mean.

Concentrating, she sorted various pieces of paper together and prepared them to be filed in various folders later. Although she tried so hard to distract herself, the one particular situation in which she had lain in the arms of her boss kept coming back to her mind. A slight blush covered her cheeks, this affair had been more than embarrassing for her and yet she had somehow enjoyed it!

Just as she was reveling in her thoughts again, she heard a throat clearing and looked up. Saskia looked directly into Lionel's brown eyes, which were looking at her just as intently.

Embarrassed, she cleared her throat, certain that she was getting even redder and certainly looked like a tomato now! "Good morning," she tried to get out halfway normally, though she didn't really succeed.

"Good morning to you as well," Lionel replied, looking closely at his assistant. "Oh, and one more thing Sassy, bring our coffee to my office again, we have something to discuss!", he teased her deliberately and, without waiting for a reaction from her, he went through the glass door into his office.

As soon as he stood alone in the spacious room, he took a deep breath. What was it that always caused him to act so out of character around Saskia. He was no longer forty, he was a man with a lot of influence, and yet he let himself be carried away by such childish statements. Slightly shaking his head, he had to grin at himself. He sat down on the large sofa and waited for Saskia to bring the coffee.

He had been toying with this idea for a while, what he would offer her right now, so he was already eager to hear what she had to say in response. After all, it would be a huge break into her private life and of course he didn't know anything about it. Which in principle also did not matter to him, so he tried it at least to convince himself!

Saskia was annoyed about the new nickname he had given her, "Sassy..."! Somehow the name did fit, but did he have to make it official now that he thought she was rebellious and naughty?

She drew her eyebrows together unwillingly and it looked like storm clouds were about to form over her head. Quickly, she went to the break room and prepared two double espressos, just like last time. While the coffee ran into the cups, she rummaged around in the chocolate bars. Who knows, maybe he would want one again this time.

Slightly tense from all the events, she made her way into his office with the coffee and set it down on the side table in front of the sofa.

Lionel raised his eyebrows when he saw the chocolate, very thoughtful, he thought to himself. But he reached for his espresso first and foremost, sipping it and watching Saskia over the rim of the cup. Why hadn't he ever noticed that she was really pretty before? His thoughts weren't appropriate right now, he internally shifted and focused on his meeting.

"You certainly know through the company newsletter that I have a new book coming out," Lionel said more than asked.

To his confirmation, Saskia nodded, continued to look at him wordlessly, and waited for what was to follow.

Lionel cleared his throat, took another sip of water and sorted his thoughts for a few seconds.

"I came to the conclusion that I could use your help quite well, for certain contents, which I will announce to you in keywords. Your task would then be to create a text from it. But there's a catch," he said, looking at her, trying to keep up the tension.

Saskia didn't think she heard right, she was supposed to help him with his new book? "You want me to help?" she inquired for good measure, watching him lean casually into the sofa.

"As a matter of fact, Sassy," he replied with a cheeky grin, "I want you to help me with it, but it would cut your free time to a minimum. Since I don't know any weekends or anything like that. When I work, I work, and that can go into the night!"

"What would that mean for me exactly, after all I have a life too?" she more or less lied, because she didn't really have a personal life to speak of

"What would that mean for me exactly, after all I have a life too?" she more or less lied, because she didn't really have a personal life to speak of. But she would be careful not to air such things in front of her boss, it was none of his business at all.

"Well...", Lionel started to speak, tapping his fingers on the leather sofa and looking at her again, waiting, "you'd have to move into a guest room in my estate for the time of the research. After all, this is what it's all about, among other things." Still he looked at her waiting, a nervousness unknown to him ran through him.

Saskia's eyes grew bigger and bigger, forgotten that she had been annoyed by her new "pet name" again. "Starting when?" was the only thing she managed to get out.

"Right from this weekend, there is no unnecessary time to lose," he replied firmly. Unconsciously, he let out the pent-up air he had unknowingly been holding. Honestly, he hadn't really expected her to more or less agree right away without any further inquiries. But outwardly he seemed as confident as ever.

Saskia didn't really need to think much, which normal person wouldn't exchange a rat hole in London for a guest room in an estate in the country. For her, there was actually no reason not to accept the offer. But a little voice in the background still called out to her that she would regret it, but she really couldn't pay any attention to that now....

In the meantime, Harry Deane sat in his small office and let his hatred for Lord Shahbandar and Saskia flow into his deceptive plans. For days, he had been brooding over his various plans, weighing them all against each other. How he would best succeed in deceiving Shahbandar and avenging Evi's summary dismissal of Saskia! He would probably contact his old acquaintance, Major Wingate, this was a talented artist who made forgeries...