Chapter Eight

The late afternoon sun is slowly disappearing into the clouds. You, Tatum and Sidney rock on the chair on the front porch, looking out into the town. Dewey's patrol jeep is parked in Tatum's driveway. Despite loud music blaring from an inside stereo, it's a quiet moment. "You know, maybe Cotton Weary is telling the truth. Maybe he was having an affair with your mom, Sid," Tatum said. You listen in.

"So you think my mom was a slut too?"

"I didn't say that. But you know there were rumours. Your dad was always out of town on business. Maybe your mom was a very unhappy woman."

"Tate, stop assuming things," you say.

"If they were having an affair, how come Cotton Weary couldn't prove it in court?" Sidney asks. She does have a point.

"You can't prove a rumour. That's why it's a rumour." Tatum was proving a point too.

"Created by that little tabloid twit Gale Weathers," you say sharply. 

"It goes further back, Sidney. There's been talk about other men," Tatum said. You wasn't sure if this thing between Cotton and Sidney's mother was correct but that was the least of your worries right now. You cared more about staying alive and figuring out the answer to Billy's question. Would you date him or not?

"And you believe it?" Sidney says back.

"Well, you can only hear that Richard Gere-gerbil story so many time before you have to start believing it." There's a long silence as Sidney agonises this. She stands up and moves to the edge of the porch and stares out into the neighbourhood. You and Tatum remain seated.

"If I was wrong about Cotton, then he's still out there..."

"Don't go there, Sid. You're starting to sound like some Wes Carpenter flick. Don't freak yourself out - we've got a long night ahead of us!" Tatum said.

"You're right. Ignore me. I'm cracking up."

"Uh, guys? I have something to tell you," you say. You know your answer. You wanted to date Billy. You just had to tell Sidney, you needed her approval. If Tatum and her doesn't want to be your friend anymore, you would understand. 

"What is it, Y/N?" Sidney says, looking at you. 

"I-I... Billy asked me out earlier. I didn't say anything as you and him had just broken up and I wanted your opinion but I really love him, Sid. I really do and I can't resist any longer.." you cry. 

Sidney and Tatum give each other a questioning glance. "It's understandable if you don't like me anymore..."

Eventually, Sidney sighs and gives you a sad smile. "It's okay. I give you the approval. You can date him, of course. I want you to be happy, as well as Tatum, Stu and Randy."

"Really?" you smile slightly.

"Well, yeah. I see the way he looks at you. He stopped looking at me like that since my mom died. He comforts you, he does everything for you. You're meant to be.." Sidney said sadly. You could tell she was still adjusting to their break up. 

You smile widely and give her a tight hug. She hugs back and pulls away. "Go get him, Y/N. You deserve it, right, Tatum?"

Tatum nods in agreement and smiles. "Come on, let's rock!" 

You and Sidney follow Tatum inside the house, never noticing Ghostface standing across the street, under a tree. His presence so subtle and unobtrusive. 

~

Stu is moving along main street when Billy comes up barrelling next to him. "How'd you do?"

"Piece of cake. They'll both be there."

"Thanks, butt wart. You did good," Billy said, smirking.

"So you gonna try making up with Y/N?"

"Duh... that's quick."

"I was just asking. Why do you always at me?" Stu asks, giving Billy sorrowful puppy eyes.

"Because I'm trying to build your self-esteem. You're far too sensitive."

"Oh.." 

Billy thumbs Stu's forehead. "You ready to party hard tonight?"

"Oh, you know it!"

They come to a building centrally located in the heart of Main Street. A huge, blue monstrosity that's bigger than the local bank and post office combined, a sign reads Blockbuster. Just as they're about to enter, you come up behind them, scaring Stu. "Jesus, Y/N! You scared me!"

You laugh loudly. "Sorry!"

"Hey, uh, can you give me and Y/N a minute alone, Stu?" Billy said. Stu obediently agrees and gives Billy a thumbs up before entering Blockbuster. "Come to make up, have you?" Billy asks, looking you up and down. 

"Um, no. I'm here to give you the answer to your question."

Billy furrows his eyebrows. "I'm listening."

"Yes. Yes, I'll gladly date you!" you squeal and kiss him firmly on the lips. He embraces you in a tight hug. 

"Finally. I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too."

"Are you entering the shop with us?" 

"Yes. I'm gonna buy a few VHS tapes for Stu's party tonight. You're coming, right?" you ask.

"Duh."