[14] Expedition

When night finally fell, you were prepared. The only change in your plans was a surprise from Amy, a new set of armor that was much less protective, but dark to keep the aspect of stealth. Thankfully, it still retained parts of your favorite color of (f/c) in some little details.

Olive was to take you to the drop zone, staying out of sight with lower engine power as well as a half a mile or so away from the proximity of the base. This is where you'd descend onto the roof, an overhanging concrete shield that perched from the side of the cliff. The topography granted for a cliffside descent, allowing you to land close to a vent, your access inside.

. . .

Your aircraft flew through the air at lesser speeds, allowed for the quiet approach. Now that you and Olive were a team, you decided to give your shared transport, and home, a name. You wanted the cool and streamline kind of a name, and Olive wanted something similar but with more cute.

"-like Henry!" The canine said in front of you.

"No way, that's like a name for a 3D printer." You called back. "I say something sci-fi like the- the FF Hakon, or FF Endurance " You stuttered trying to think of something on the spot. FF for Freedom Fighters, like how waterborn ships are called SS.

"I actually kinda like the Endurance, but the FF sounds kinda lame." Olive disagreed, shaking her head sideways. "Just use SS like any other ship."

"So the SS Endurance?" You tilted your head sideways, making sure you got what the canine pilot meant.

"Yeppers." Her eyes remained forwards but gave you a thumbs up, "And so it was, welcome aboard the SS Endurance (Y/n)!"

Yeah, it does sound good. Not exactly menacing but it worked out fine, your ship was smaller than the normal escort rescue ships, so where you lacked cargo space it ade up for the lightweight speed. Speed and endurance were relative terms right?

A few minutes passed and you soon saw the ocean glisten from the reflection of the moon's light.

"Alright, we're going dark. I'm setting down a flare to distract any infected stragglers. You shouldn't find any inside but just be careful." Olive pressed a button on her control, it rapidly flashed red and then disappeared. The reflection of a flare made the outline of the ship a faint red, meaning that the distraction was successfully deployed. You soon would join it on the ground a mile closer to the base and were told to get ready.

Jumping from your chair, you made it to the hangar doors that began to slowly open. The SS Endurance came to a slow stop, hovering 10 feet above the ground. The grass blew violently from the engine's propellers as you jumped down, your landing muffled by the aircrafts.

Olive peeled back away to give you back your quiet. Immediately you turned tail and started running towards the base of the cliff, tapping your earpiece microphone to make sure it was working. Olive replied, good.

On your waist was rope to repel down on and other little tools like a screwdriver of small wire cutters. Sometimes when you looked down at your hands, the dark cover of night blended you in so perfectly you confused yourself.

If you heard a groan of an infected, you managed to jump into a tree and out of sight in the darkness of the canopy. They'd walk on by towards Olive's flare, a much more vibrant target. Soon, you resumed your trek towards the cliff, throwing your hands behind you and running forwards for those aerodynamics.

The forest reached all the way to the end, roots of trees dangling off of the edge of the cliffside. With a kick, you found a trump that was firmly attached to the ground, and tied your rope to it. Yanking the loop around your waist, it was firmly secured to your belt. Holding the rope with both hands, you took a deep breath, and began to repel down the side of the cliff.