(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞) the history

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

IT WAS AN HOUR LATER WHEN EDWARD ARRIVED BACK at the house with Bella. Este had assumed that he'd probably just drive her home after the complete chaos that had occurred in the kitchen but it seemed they were willing to give the family another chance after the knife throwing, glass smashing, scent talking incident.

Este had been with Carlisle in his office, being annoying by watching what he was doing over his shoulder. She was bored, nothing else to do and nowhere else she wanted to go. Right now she needed something to keep her mind at bay and if that meant watching Carlisle study medicine, so be it.

Anyway, he didn't mind. He enjoyed her company regardless of what she was doing. Este would never fall into the vampire habit of being able to stay still. She was similar to Alice in that way. She found herself pacing around the study, staring out the window for a moment before she'd go and sit on the sofa at the other side of the room. Carlisle watched her in amusement as he wrote notes down.

As Este had heard the front door open and became aware that Edward had returned, Carlisle's phone buzzed. A text. He didn't seem impressed by this but Carlisle could receive a text giving him the best news ever and he'd still be against it. For some reason he just hated texting. Este supposed that much could be expected.

"I'm going to have to go into work" Carlisle looked across at Este who was now lying across the sofa throwing and catching a paperweight between her hands.

"Really?" Este didn't even try to mask her disappointment.

However they were interrupted in the next second with a knock on the door. Este raised her eyebrows in surprise. She hadn't expected that Edward and Bella would have any business with them.

"Come in" Carlisle called. Este sat up, keeping the paperweight between her hands.

Edward pushed open the door and looked between them with a relaxed smile that Este hadn't seen before while they'd been in the kitchen. Bella was beside him, she seemed more calm too as though her mood mirrored Edward's. Este tried not to think too much into this as she watched Bella stare around the room in awe. Carlisles study was rather impressive.

"What can I do for you?" Carlisle asked as he stood from his seat.

"I wanted to show Bella some of our history" Edward said, "Well, your history, actually."

Bella always seemed to have an awkward presence about her. Este wasn't sure what caused this. Whether it was her small unsure smile or the way she held herself, standing slightly behind Edward. Whatever it was, it made Este nervous. Yet she wasn't surprised that Edward had wanted to talk through Carlisle's history. Bella would probably find it extremely interesting, four hundred years worth of lives. Edward admired Carlisle and therefore his story alongside this.

"We didn't mean to disturb you," Bella looked between Este and Carlisle apologetically. Este could see she was the kind of girl to simply apologise for existing. Always feeling as though she was intruding. Este had been similar once, a long time ago.