(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞) monster baby

✧✧✧

IT TOOK BELLA AND EDWARD JUST OVER A DAY to get home based on flight times. The Cullens were sat very solemnly around the house as though attending a funeral. If this all went bad they actually would end up attending a funeral.

Rosalie had not said anything else about Bella's phone call to the family, probably scared their reaction would be similar to Este's. There was no hard feelings between the mother and daughter. They understood each other very well. In fact, despite there being absolutely no favouritism with Este, she did know Rosalie the best. Their minds were similar as were their experiences. It made sense the way that they felt.

Alice had told them when Edward and Bella would return home even if her vision of them both had become rather clouded. It was unsure why this was, whether it was the future causing a thunderstorm or whether it was something to do with what was happening with Bella. Alice had never previously faced much problem with her gift.

The car had pulled up on the driveway only half an hour after Alice had predicted. They'd gotten Emmett to pick them up but based on the expressions and the silence, Este posed a guess that they had not spoken about what was going on. The jeep didn't bother going into the drive and Emmett effortlessly lifted all their bags out of the car as they paced towards the house.

They'd all been sat in the living room with conflicting expressions all over their faces. Rosalie looked very stern, obviously waiting to say her piece. Alice looked sick, Jasper trying to calm them all down with his conflicted expression. Carlisle looked as casual as ever, standing waiting for them by the front door while they all stood around waiting. He didn't know Bella's opinions yet however. None of them did. Only her and Rosalie and Este wished she was not apart of this.

As soon as the door opened, everyone was on edge. Even Jasper could not calm them down anymore. Emmett placed their bags down before they graced up the stairs to meet the rest of them. Bella looked radiant, Este guessed this wouldn't last. Her skin had a bronze to it that Este had never seen her possess. Her hair was lighter from the sun and she had freckles painting her skin.

"How are you feeling?" Alice asked.

"I'm alright" Bella smiled. Este watched her face carefully but she did not give anything away.

"Come on" Carlisle beckoned her with a small tilt of his head, "we'll find out what's happened"

They all followed, none of them wanting to miss out on the mystery. The room at the end of the corridor was one that Este very rarely went into. It was basically a sequel to Carlisle's study but a lot more medical based. In the middle of the room now sat a very large piece of equipment that Este did not understand.

"Why do you have that?" Emmett asked in wonder, "when were we ever going to need that?"

"We need it now" Carlisle pointed out with a shrug.

"Did you have that before you knew Bella was pregnant?"

"It's an MRI scanner, it's not just for pregnancy" Carlisle replied as he gestured for Bella to lie on it.

"Why else would you have an MRI scanner?" Emmett frowned.

Este wasn't confused anymore. She stared at Carlisle with a knowing sense of upset. He said he was trying everything, obviously he was starting to think there was something visibly wrong with her mind. Este doubted this would be the case and she definitely hadn't known anything about his plan of obtaining an MRI scanner.

"How did you get that into the house?" Emmett asked.

"I carried it" Carlisle sounded bored of the questions now.