(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨) american pastime

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

BASEBALL, THE AMERICAN PASTIME. Or so people said. She'd played numerous games of baseball with the Cullens over the years. Every time a storm hit they'd be in a clearing, up a hill, somewhere desolate. The bats would come out, Alice would dance around and sing for rain and Edward would go on about how fast he was. Then there would be the arguments of teams and the complaints of cheating.

However, it was fun and it was of the only things the Cullens did as a family. Of course there were the occasional card games and days out, they were closer than a lot of families but baseball took the top spot. It won because in all their minds it was the best way to spend a day.

Therefore when Alice had come to Este only a couple of days after Bella had come to visit and told her that a huge storm was coming, Este was only happy to oblige in getting the family tougher. The Cullens wouldn't miss out on a game of baseball. Este watched the navy sky as the lighting forked above them and heard the excited calls of Alice downstairs.

However it couldn't all go perfectly, things rarely did. As soon as Edward had heard about the prospect of a game he asked the question that both Alice and Este had been waiting for. Alice because she'd seen it happen and Este because she was way too familiar with the way Edward and Bella felt.

"Can I bring Bella?"

Rosalie had immediately claimed that she wasn't coming if Bella was involved and Este was thrown back to her first baseball game with the Cullens when Edward had still been a prick. However, Este had managed to calm Rose down. After all, Bella wouldn't be playing alongside them. How would she be able to, Bella couldn't keep up with the vampires even if she tried.

Rosalie listened to Este and therefore the next day after Alice's vision of the storm, they were pacing up through the woods to a clearing they'd found at the top of a hill. Emmett had been the one to discover it only a couple days after moving to Forks. He claimed it would be perfect for their baseball games and his assumption had been completely correct.

Despite the incredibly darkened, clouded sky and the loud claps of thunder and forked lightning that appeared above their heads every so often, there was no rain. Alice seemed disheartened by this but Este didn't mind. She preferred baseball without the rain.

However on this particular day, she wasn't playing. They'd discovered sometime in Alaska that Alice playing alongside them didn't hinder the other team too much even if she could perfectly predict the moves of others, Edward could pretty much do the same. Although they occasionally worked with uneven teams, Este had decided that she wouldn't leave Bella sitting alone watching from afar without anyone to talk to.

Bella and Edward arrived in Emmett's jeep, pulling up just as Carlisle had finished laying the bases. The teams had been sorted. Blondes against brunettes to make it fair. Carlisle, Jasper and Rosalie were starting off batting, Emmett, Alice and Edward fielding.