Chapter 20- Academy (Edited 2/6/20)

MINAKO'S POINT OF VIEW

MONTHS LATER

"Okay do you have your lunch? And extra pencils? And bandages in case you get cut ya know? Here take three! Wait actually take the whole box!" I sputtered out as I ran frantically around the house trying to prepare Naruto for his first day in the Academy. Said boy sat grumpily on the bottom step of the staircase and watched as I fluttered about.

"Mommy! Stop! I'm going to be just fine ya know! Yes I have my lunch and pencils! That's all I need!" Naruto said as he stood up to stop me from panicking even more. I knew he was right, that I was being overprotective and needed to stop. If he was ever going to be a ninja, he needed to be able to walk on his own two feet.

My little Naruto... A ninja...

I internally squealed in fear for him after going through what I did. I felt so much pain from being a ninja. I saw my friends die, my sensei, my sister... There was nothing easy about being a ninja... I hope Naruto learns of the sacrifice it means without actually having to. I know that isn't going to happen...but just thinking about the alternative breaks my heart. After weeks of him begging, I finally succumbed to signing him up for the next incoming class year, something Tsume did for her youngest and Mikoto for Sasuke. At least he'll have friends in the academy with him. Apparently I was staring off too long because Naruto gripped the bottom of my shirt, trying to get my attention.

"Mommy?" I turned to him, the copy of Minato's bright blue eyes looking at me. How I missed my brother in law...

"Hmm?"

"Are you going to be okay if I go to school?" He asked me. My violet eyes widened in surprise. Was Naruto worried about me?

"I don't have to go if it makes you sad Mommy." Naruto said as he looked me in the eyes. Shock invaded my system and my lip quivered slightly. I knelt onto the ground and hugged my baby tightly. He buried his blond mop of hair into the crook of my neck, hugging me back. I felt a single tear slip out down my cheek but I wiped it quickly so Naruto couldn't see. I pulled away from Naruto and placed my hands on his whiskered cheeks. He was so thoughtful and considerate, a trait both of his parents shared. I'm so proud of him.

"Naruto, don't ever hold yourself back because of me. I love you and will support you forever. Now let me tell you a little secret ya know." I whispered in his ear. He excitedly leaned forward, smiling brightly.

"What is it Mommy?! Tell me 'ttebayo!" I kissed the top of his head before ruffling his hair. I looked down at Minato's mini clone and swallowed down the lump in my throat. Within a moment, I envisioned Naruto on the Hokage mountain, standing with a grin on his face while wearing Minato's jacket...the Hokage hat in his hands. I know he'll excel one day... I'll do anything in my power to help him.

"I believe that you will be a great ninja. No matter what you do Naruto, I will always be here for you. One day, you'll be better than Kakashi and I combined ya know." Naruto grinned, a shocked expression on his little features.

"Really?!" I smiled wide, my ruby strands passing over my shoulder.

"Really. Now let's get going before your sensei kills me ya know!" I smiled. Immediately I felt nostalgia from when my sister took me to school on my first day. The agonizing pain in my chest reminded me of that. Even after seven years, the pain still remains..

Naruto and I walked into the Academy building so he could take the entrance exam. At the front of the class was a young man with a familiar scar across his face. I narrowed my eyes trying to remember who he was but it came up blank. Why was he so familiar!? Naruto took a seat next to Sasuke who looked annoyed, making me roll my eyes. Him with his Uchiha pride. I waved to Sasuke before ruffling his hair, causing him to get embarrassed.