Chapter 6

He pointed at a large private beach house that looked abandoned at the top of a rocky hill.

How far did I run?

Zuko helped me back up and lead me to the doors of the house. The doors were locked so he kicked them open, the whole place was dusty and the musk of an unattended house reached my lungs. We slowly walked up the stairs. Zuko stared at a picture on the wall. It was a portrait of him and his family, Zuko didn't have a scar. It was a different time. A completely different life. None of them were smiling. I softened my eyes touching the picture lightly. My fingers traced the border of the frame, eyes averting to Zuko's mother, Lady Ursa. She looked the most unhappy of them all. I couldn't help but remember when Zuko said she was no longer around. It must really hurt him to think back on these memories.

I looked to him, who was silent. Zuko then picked up a clay plate with an imprint of a small hand. He placed his hand on top. My heart started to hurt. I could feel the sadness Zuko felt. He was regretting everything. It made me slowly open myself to forgiveness.

I know him.

"You miss her, don't you?" I said to Zuko, his eyes slowly met mine.

"She always knew what to do," Zuko said looking down again.

"I miss my mom too," I said saddened, my mind yelling at me as my body felt like it was being split right down the middle.

"I'm sorry,"Zuko said, his voice cracking,"Kya, I'm so sorry,"

He gripped my hand, almost letting the clay tablet fall. I caught it with my free hand and placed it down. Zuko kept apologizing over and over again, his voice getting raspier as the dust in the air reached our lungs. I could feel my heart sink. I hated this, but his sincerity reminded me of before this mess. Of the times where I saw our future together back in Ba Sing Se. That future that deep down I still hoped was real.

I grabbed his face to make him look at me,"Then fix the mess you made," I begged staring into his eyes. I could feel it. He really was sorry about everything.

"I don't know how," Zuko looked back down in a whisper.

I felt a presence of someone, someone was listening to us. It's too dangerous to be honest, with him or myself. I let go of his face, backing away.

"Then there's nothing I can do for you. You should figure out what you want for yourself," I said as I walked away.

Azula was at the entrance to the beach house. I looked to her nodding before walking down the stairs to the beach.

That's not what I wanted to say to him. But I had no choice. I slowly made it to the sea. The silent waves crashed into each other as they always do, unchanging as the ocean and as adaptive as the tides. Those were the words from the Lady of the Ocean. I took a deep breath and began to sing.

You don't really have nothing As long as you still have a good heart           But die for a belief It's not worth it But even if this moment disappointed and lost The fire in your eyes is still alive Piece together a soul in the broken world

I couldn't give up. I made a resolve the moment I left the North Pole with Zuko. I can't just give up just because I'm hurt, not when the world is at stake. I need to find hope in myself. I need to be strong enough to handle this. But not only that, I need to trust in change, and find hope in others too.

As much as it'll hurt me, I need to do the right thing and keep trying. I want to keep trying, I don't want to give up.

I heard the girls approach me as I pushed and pulled the tides. I spun around bringing the water along with me in a small peaceful dance. Something I'd never imagine doing before. But when no one knows the real you it's easier to be vulnerable about the smaller things. A chill went down my spine as I let the water go back and my mothers face reflected in the water. I knew it wasn't my mother but the Lady of the Ocean. I nodded to her, I know what I'm supposed to do. I just hope I'm strong enough to follow through. She smiled before fading away.