Chapter 17

The next day during dinner I sat between Sokka and Haru as Zuko and Kaito came over to the group.

"Listen everybody, I've got some pretty bad news," Zuko said,"I've lost my stuff,"

"Don't look at me! I didn't touch your stuff," Toph said defensively.

"He means our fire bending," Kaito said with a defeated look,"It's just gone,"

Katara bursted out laughing as I watched her judgingly,"I'm sorry, I'm just laughing at the irony. You know how it would have been nice for us if Zuko lost his fire bending a long time ago,"

"Well, it's not lost, it's just weaker for some reason," Zuko clarified.

"Maybe you're just not as good as you think you are?" Katara said.

"Ouch," Toph added.

"I bet it's because we changed sides," Zuko said.

"I think so too," I said calmly drinking tea.

"That's ridiculous," Katara said shooting the idea down.

"I don't know. Maybe it isn't. Maybe his fire bending does come from rage and he just don't have enough anger to fuel it like he used to," Aang said.

"So, all we need to do is make Zuko angry. Easy enough,"Sokka said poking Zuko with the sheath of his sword while snickering.

"Okay cut it out!" Zuko yelled, making Sokka drop the sword in fear,"Look even if you're right I don't wanna rely on hate and anger anymore, there has to be another way!"

"He's right even if it did steam from anger," Kaito chimed in,"Then I wouldn't have lost mine. I was never angry like Zuko,"

"Your source of fire bending was different, but deciding to do the right thing caused it to be weaker," I explained.

"You're gonna have to learn how to draw your fire bending from a different source," Toph added,"I recommend the original source,"

"How's are they supposed to do that? By jumping into a volcano?!" Sokka sarcastically joked.

"No. Zuko and Kaito need to go back to whatever the original source of fire bending is,"

"So is it jumping into a volcano?" Sokka asked.

I sighed at Sokka.

"I don't know," Toph continued,"For earth bending the original earth benders were badger moles. One day when I was little I ran away and hid in a cave, that's where I met them. They were blind just like me, so we understood each other. I was able to learn earth bending not just as a martial art but as an extension of my senses. For them the original earth benders, it wasn't just about fighting it was their way of interacting with the world,"

"That's amazing, Toph. I learned from the monks but the original air benders were the sky bison. Maybe you can give me a lesson sometime, buddy!" Aang said cheerfully.

"Well, that won't do much. Dragons were the original fire benders, and their all extinct," Kaito sighed.

"What do you mean?" Aang asked,"Roku had a dragon and there were plenty of dragons when I was a kid,"

"Well they aren't around anymore okay!" Zuko yelled.

"Okay okay sorry," Aang apologized.

"Fire benders ended up hunting dragons to prove their strength," I interjected remembering briefly reading it in a record of the royal library,"But even then it's hard to believe their all gone in only 100 years,"

"Well that's been the truth since Fire Lord Sozin took the throne," Kaito said crossing her arms.

Zuko sighed,"But maybe theres another way. The first people to learn from the dragons were the ancient Sun Warriors,"