seventeen

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter seventeen.

HUNTER HIT HER HEAD ON the steering wheel of her truck as she wiped her tear stained cheek

HUNTER HIT HER HEAD ON the steering wheel of her truck as she wiped her tear stained cheek. She was shaking and her head hurt. No amounts of ibuprofen and jack daniels would fix that. She didn't know where she'd be able to go. Alexa was at work. Bobby and Hen were doing a double date night with their partners. She couldn't go to Eddie and let Chris see her broken down this like.

She was left with one choice. Hunter made her way on the high way, eyes flickering between her dashboard picture and the road every so often. The small little red needle on the dash was pushing 105. The old black squarebody could hardly take that speed, she could feel the axels and the tire rods shaking under the pressure and demand she was putting on them.

The call from yesterday didn't help her state, it reminded her of all the bad memories she tried to push away after Lane had died. And right before the anniversary of his death? Hunter was surprised she was functioning. She was more than inebriated, in no state to drive but it seemed she hadn't learned anything from rolling her first ever truck in a ditch after a drunken night of partying in high school.

Every so often she'd pass a car that was all but a blur to her. She was pushing past 110 and quick thoughts would cross her mind. The guard rail was playing a dangerous and enticing game with her mind. It was even more dangerous the two rifles that rested on the rack of her back window. And the pistol in her glove box, along with the shotgun under the bench seat- there were thoughts on her mind.

Slamming the door to her truck, she made the short walk into the apartment building. She thought about turning around and not knocking on the door but she honestly didn't know if she'd survive the drive home.

"Calla?" The sleepy blonde asked once he opened the door, "wait, are you okay?"

Hunter pursed her lips before shaking her head no. "I'll make some tea," buck said as he opened the door further to allow her inside, "the couch is pretty comfortable."

She nodded as she walked into his apartment and took his suggestion by taking a seat in his couch and crossing her legs as she hugged a pillow she picked up before sitting down. Buck came back a few minutes later, two coffee cups in hand as he sat down on the couch opposite of Hunter.