twenty six

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter twenty six.

Hunter followed behind Athena's car in her truck

Hunter followed behind Athena's car in her truck. The squarebody was in best condition it had ever been in, a few weeks back Hunter had given it a paint job and it now spotted a nice shiny black.

Sue and Josh from the call center had helped pinged a location of Maddie and they were headed there now to meet Detective Marks.

"What the fuck," she mumbled as the looked at the cattle trailer parked on the side of the road. Hunter parked behind Athena before racing out to catch up with her and Buck.

"When I was leaving, saw a couple going into the store," the driver said, recalling his time at the small corner shop gas station.

"He knew we could use the phone to track him. Probably dropped it in the truck just to throw us off," Athena groaned.

"So they could be anywhere by now," Hunter said with a grimace.

"Yeah. And Doug's way ahead of us," buck said, sadly as if he knew no good news would be coming soon.

"Let's move to the gas station," Athena said while walking back towards her car. Hunter followed in suit to her truck before getting in.

Hunter separated from Athena and Buck as she walked around the outside of the gas station. She sighed as she saw the blood from another victim of Doug. She glanced at the open window, guessing that Maddie had tried to escape. Hunter held a bittersweet smile, Maddie was a fighter and she believed in the oldest Buckley.

Athena and Marks had found a lead on the car. Luckily enough, the owner had a tracker on it. Black bear trails wasn't too far away, meaning it wasn't too late for Maddie. They were coming for her, she had to hold on.

"300 rentals?" Hunter repeated in surprise once she heard the number of cabins they would need to search, "fuck this," Hunter shook her head before turning back to her truck and eyeing the water tower, "I'm going up high."

"Callahan," Athena called sternly as she watched the blonde grab the rifle from her rack on the back window of her truck.

"You are not authorized to do that," Marks told her, "I will-"