27.3 Dhruv and the Brides

She was avoiding him

She was avoiding him. And she may think, she was subtle but she wasn't. He could actually see her fumbling around the house trying to avoid him. There were times when he had to hide, so that her clumsy self would not get hurt. 

Why wasn't she talking to me? He thought again and again.

Everything was fine till the night of dinner. But... He did not know after that. He had even called Pragathi to find out about the reason. But she had just drawn blank.

"It was her mother's usual behaviour, from what Amma had said. That would not have bought this change". Pragathi had told him.

"Are you sure?" He had asked.

"I am. She wasn't so upset when she came from Varada Aunty's house. She talked to me just fine. Something happened after that".

"Did she tell you anything?"

"No. She can really clam up, if she wants to. Everytime I say something about you, she changes topic. Outright! She has even agreed to it. Apparently, me being your sister doesn't make me her trustable ally".

Dhruv felt upset. He was starting to get worried that she was in some trouble. Was she? He sighed. Why cant people just communicate?

He had decided to talk to her and came home early. But, Reema was no show. She usually comes back by five. And it was close to six, she hadn't come back. He walked to the glass wall and leaned on it, looking over the garden gave him some peace.

He saw Eesha playing with Kriya in the garden. He smiled. How long has it been since he had played with his beautiful niece? May be that would help improve his mood. So, he rushed to the garden.

"Hello Vadina," he greeted her as soon as he reached them.

Eesha got up immediately and said, "Hello Dhruv".

Dhruv threw her a charming smile. "Why did you get up? Do I look like your boss?" He joked.

"I.. no," she stuttered.  Did he scare her? Was she uncomfortable?

Dhruv gave her a calming smile, which worked wonders on the female population and reached out to Kriya. The little girl saw her uncle and started crying, she even crawled back to Eesha.

Eesha who looked panicky said, "I am really sorry, I don't know why she is behaving like this". She looked at the little girl who had snuggled into her.

"What's there to be sorry, Vadina? Kriya is used to you. She feels safe with you because she spends all the time with you". Dhruv told her. He meant it too. He remembered his brother complaining about not being able to spend time with his daughter. So, Eesha is Kriya's world and by the looks of it, Kriya is Eesha's.

He picked up a doll lying around and jumped around Kriya for a while. She did not care for him, first time, second time, third time, too. Somewhere along the line, Kriya warmed up to him. He took her in his hands and started playing with her.