Chapter Seven: The Bow

When I woke up the next morning, Imanthi met me at the door before I could even leave the room

"I came to see how you are feeling." Was how she greeted me. 

"I feel okay." I said. "Almost normal."

It wasn't a lie, at least. I knew that the infection would aid in my recovery, but I was shocked at how quickly I had recovered from what had to have been near death. 

"That's good to hear. I am glad." She gave me a kind smile.

I went to step past her, but she stopped me before I could. 

 "I am asking because we will be leaving to travel to The Far North today. I was wondering if you would be joining us." 

I tried to give her a polite smile.

"Yes— it's not like I have anywhere else to go." I said, "I don't have much life experience outside of the convent. I doubt I would be able to make it far on my own." 

It wasn't entirely a lie. I didn't have anywhere else to go and I did want to go to The Far North. 

I wanted a chance to stay mortal. 

But she didn't have to know that.

"I'm glad to hear it." There was a look on her face that seemed to indicate she was relieved I would be coming with them. "Would you mind helping Greta and Ayla finish packing for the journey?" 

"Of course." I said. "I will help any way I can." 

"I think it looks nice

"I think it looks nice." Ayla said of the clothes I wore.

It was lie and I knew it was a lie. They were too big and too long— the pants barely hanging on with the help of a belt, the sleeves of the shirt and the legs of the pants rolled up as much as I could manage. 

"Don't listen to her. You look like you're playing dress up in your father's clothes." Greta said, much less flatteringly. I knew her assessment of my appearance was far more accurate. 

I did my best to ignore both of them. 

"At least I'm warm now." I said, running my hands across the wool fabric on my arms, "Although, I do feel indecent, going out without a corset on—"