Twenty three

June 2nd

Milo's POV:

I feel far away as Harvey's head rests against my chest on my bed, after him breaking down in my arms we went to my house. My mum still isn't home and I'm thankful for it.

I wished I lived further so Harvey didn't have to be so close to that monster.

I feel my eyes twinge as I remember how cruelly Harvey's father, the mayor of this shitty little town beat the crap out of this precious boy in my arms. No wonder he pushes everyone away.

If his dad treats him like utter shit.

I remember the face he wore when he saw me through the window, he looked so scared. More scared than what he looked like when that man was hitting him.

I feel a sharp pain in my chest when I picture back to him on the floor and his father over him with a vicious face. Kicking him repeatedly.

I blink and a tear escapes my eyes so I quickly rub it away, I don't want Harvey to focus on me. I need to get him to talk.

Speaking of, Harvey fidgets slightly and glances up to me. He sniffles and tries to give me a small smile but it fails, I close my eyes for a second but all I can see is that horrible scene I just witnessed.

I open them and lean down, kissing his head of hair. I inhale in and pull him closer to me, which is quite hard because he's already very close.

I put an ice pack against his stomach but after a couple minutes he shruggs it off,

"I don't need it, I've been through worse" my heart shatters even more after hearing that. All this time I've known him, all the time I've had suspicions about his father. And I did nothing.

Said nothing.

I move my head from his hair and he looks up to me with tired sad eyes, "are you okay?" I ask but I know it's a stupid question. Because how can someone- anyone, be okay after that.

Harvey's father abuses him, he just took a serve beating. And here I am asking if he's okay, holding him tight to me to make sure he knows I'm here. But I don't think that's enough, his face... he looks exhausted.

"I don't know anymore" I inhale sharply and close my eyes, feelings water pool in them. But I won't let them fall, I can't. Not with him in my arms. I take a deep breath and open them, staring into a beautiful green colour.

I tuck a small strand of hair behind his ear, "that happens a lot doesn't it?" I question quietly. The words drifting out into the air as he takes a while to answer. But I let him, I keep him close, resting against me for comfort.

"Yeah" he whispers out but his voice breaks, he then shuffles around into a sitting position and clears his throat. "Ever since I can remember" he finally says and I swallow.

Feeling like there's a hard lump in my throat.

I take his hand into mine gently and he sighs. "He always hurts me when I mess up, it's been happening forever and I know it's just the way he deals with it but-"

"No, Harvey. No. That's not a fair punishment for bad behaviour, he's abusive. He abuses you" I sit up and tell him, lightly putting my hands against the harsh marks left by his dad on his cheeks. He closes his eyes then shakes his head.

"No, no he's not. No-" a loud sob erupts from him and soon tears are falling again, I take him in my arms again and pull him so close to my chest. Stroking his hair and saying comforting words.

We stay like that, me holding him close, for ages. In the middle of the day we get hungry so I order food, pizza. He asks for pineapple on it which I hate but I order it anyway. Only when it arrives do we break away from our hug, which I miss instantly.