12. You Are Important To Me

AAKANKSHA:

After sometime I woke up to see Rahul standing opposite to me.

Rohit on the couch going through his phone and Karthik staring out of the window.

Rahul was the first one to notice me.

"How do you feel now?" He asked crouching infront of me.

"It's better." I said looking at him.

"Your medicine stash was empty again. This is the third time happening." Rohit spoke angrily.

"What will you do if me and Rahul were out of country if something like this happen again? When will you stop being careless about your health?" He scolded.

"It was out of stock when I went to buy them. This time I am not at fault." I defended.

Rohit opened his mouth to speak something but Karthik interrupted him.

"I am sorry Cherry, I shouldn't have asked you to stay back."

"Don't be. I didn't expect that it will be this severe." I said touching his hands with a slight smile.

"Okay guys enough of this. Karthik will you come with me? We will go and bring some coffee" Rohit asked and walked out of the cabin.

"I didn't mean to shout at you. I was just angry with how easily you are forgiving him. Am sorry." Rahul said.

"I know you care for me Rahul. But I want you to trust me. Karthik has changed. And I love him." I spoke calmly.

Karthik and Rohit came back with four cups of coffee. Finishing our coffees Karthik spoke

"I will drop Cherry at her flat. You guys carry-on. Is that ok Cherry?" He asked looking at the three of us.

"Ok, but on one condition. You have to keep your car windows open. Then I will come with you." I told him for which he looked questioningly at Rohit.

Chuckling he said "she doesn't like to travel in cars. If she has to come in the car then windows must be open."

Karthik made an o and we started walking out.

KARTHIK:

After settling in the car I opened all the windows "is it ok now?" I asked Cherry starting the car.

"Yup." She said leaning back.

"Then, you don't like cars? Like really don't like them?" I asked her not taking my eyes of the road.

"It's not like that. I love to admire the exteriors, you know. Like if I see a beautiful car, I just stop then and there and stare at it like it's the love of my life."

"But If I have to travel in it then I am not sure if I like them or not. I just don't like sitting with all the windows closed in a small space."

"With Rahul and Rohit, it's a different story."

"We usually go on bikes. But if it's in car, windows will be opened by default. With the ac and the small closed space I feel nauseous." She explained.

"I really wish, one day I will be as important to you as your friends are or more than them." I said getting really envious about them.

We stopped infront of her house and I turned in my seat to face her.

Taking my hand in her's, looking into my eyes she said

"you are important to me Karthik. It's just, they are in my life for a maximum part. So they know about me more clearly than anyone else. That's all."

Sighing I leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"Take care. You want to take a day off tomorrow?" I asked searching her face to know how she is feeling now.

"There is no need for that. Am alright now." She said stepping out of the car.

"Okay. Call me if you need anything." Saying I started the car.

I phoned Vishnu and told him to meet me in our regular pub.

Entering the pub I went and sat in our usual spot waiting for Vishnu.

After sometime he plopped infront of me.

"What's up man? All ok?" He asked seeing my frowned face.

"I proposed to Cherry." I said to him.

"What?! When?" He yelled surprised.

Giving our orders to the waiter, I spoke again.

"Yesterday on our road trip."

"What did she say?!" He asked still surprised by the news.

"Nothing. But she is behaving like nothing happened. I told her to take time before giving me the answer." I said taking my glass from the waiter and having a gulp of the cold drink, soothing my throat immediately.

"Then what's the matter? You told her to take time but expecting an immediate answer?" He asked leaning back onto the sofa.

"It's not just that." I explained what happened today.

"So? She had a headache. What are you trying to tell?" He asked confused.

"It's just that, I don't know anything about her. I thought I knew her so well."

"But when she was suffering with pain, I didn't know what to do. Rahul and Rohit had to come and help."

"It was just two years, we were very close before two years."

"But what happened that she has to disappear just like that? And now she is like a new person. I don't know how to express what am feeling now." I said rubbing my face.

"Take it slow man. Since you know that you don't know anything about her. Start fresh. Something must have happened for her to disappear like that. Give it time. She will open up to you." Vishnu said encouragingly.

Next day I saw her entering the office building at the same time as me.

"Hey, how are you now?" I asked walking to her.

"Hi good morning.! I feel good." She said waiting for the common elevator.

"What are you doing here?" I asked seeing her wait.

"Waiting for the elevator?" She said like a question.

"Prff come on" I said dragging her to my personal elevator. "Use this from today onwards."

"And why is that?" She asked crossing her hands.

"Because I said so." I said not looking at her, instead checking my mobile.

"Ofcourse. And I should listen to you?" She countered back.

Turning to her, keeping my mobile in my pocket I trapped her between me and the elevator wall.

Closing the space between us I leaned to her, my lips almost touching her's, I spoke

"I know you don't like taking orders. But listen to me on this. Okay?" Leaning back a little I looked into her eyes.

She nodded her head vigorously with surprise clear in her eyes.

I leaned some more not breaking the eye contact and was about to kiss her when the doors opened.

Coming out of the trance, I stood back, clearing my throat, I walked to my cabin.

Gosh..! Her eyes..!

Beautiful.!

I sighed running my hand in my hair.

She will be the death of me.