10

The bookstore opens at 10:00 am. So for the first time ever, I woke up early and put in effort to look good today. I headed to the cafe near the bookstore and got two coffees and two muffins, one gluten free of course. 

I waited outside the bookstore until a silver sleek car pulled into the employees parking lot. Hendrix came out the car and stopped in his tracks when he saw me in front of the door.

“Couldn’t wait to see me again, huh?” He said. He reached the door and opened it. He closed it in my face. I huffed and tried opening the door but my hands were occupied. The entire time, Hendrix was watching me struggle.

“Help?” I said to him. He opened the door for me and let me in. 

“Is that for me?” He asked. I set the food on the table and handed him his cup.

“Yep! I didn’t know what you liked so I got it with a bit of sugar and cream.” 

“Perfect.” He sipped his coffee. I handed him the muffin and we sat at the table and ate.

“So….” I said. “Any family?” I asked.

“You could say that.” He said.

“Meaning what?”

“Grew up in the foster system. Never met my real parents. I sometimes imagine they’re dead so I can have a reason to not reach out. But it’s whatever.” He paused and sipped his coffee. “Met some good people, though.” He finished.

“Geeze. Well. I uh, had normal parents. I guess my life was banal. But not compared to yours.” I said, chuckling a bit awkwardly. 

“But I turned out fine.” He said.

“You sure about that?” I snarked at him. 

“I’ve got an hour before I have to open. Do you just wanna talk, get you know each other?” He asked.

“That would be fun.” I said. We got up and threw our trash away and walked through the bookshelves. 

I once again saw the succulent I so badly want.

------

bye! i love you all!

<3