17. Under the Weather

On seeing that it was raining outside, I managed to find Grandpa's waterproof overalls that he often used for fishing. If anyone asked, I'd tell them that I checked the weather forecast and was prepared for a downpour.

"Why don't I give you a lift to school, Zoey?" Grandma suggested, "It's raining cats and dogs outside."

"Sure, thanks Grandma," I nodded as I slipped on my rainjacket and boots.

As I was being dropped off, I opened my umbrella after grabbing my backpack and made my way to the school building with Singin' in The Rain playing in my head. Grandma didn't question why I wore Grandpa's fishing overalls. Guess she figured that I caught wind of the weather of the day and didn't want to get soaked before school.

"Hey! Zoey!" Lewis called me as I headed for my locker, "You seen the others?" 

"No," I shook my head, "Probably saw that it was raining and chickened out for not having enough waterproof clothes."

"How were able to get through the rain without growing a tail?"

"Easy." I showed Lewis the overalls, "My grandpa's waterproof overalls. And not to forget an umbrella."

🌊

Lewis and I headed over to the Gilbert house on learning that the other girls were still there and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" Mr. Gilbert asked from inside.

"Uh, it's Lewis and Zoey," Lewis replied.

"Is everything ok?" I inquired.

"Listen carefully to what I say. Stand 10 paces back from the door," Mr. Gilbert suggested.

Lewis and I turned to each other and stepped back and opened our umbrellas just as the door opened and Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert and Elliot stepped out a bit.

"Um, are the girls here? 'Cause they're not at school?" Lewis asked.

"Forget the girls. Just leave while you can," Mr. Gilbert remarked.

"Well, when can we see them?" I jumped in, "What's going on?"

"The house is quarantined," Mrs. Gilbert replied as she stepped back inside.

"Tell my teacher I'm sick. She'll be really surprised," Elliot stated as his dad gently got him into the house.

"Go now," Mr. Gilbert informed us, "Hurry." He closed the door.

Lewis pulled out his phone to call one of the girls. He had phoned Emma to ask what was happening. It sounded like Emma, Cleo, and Rikki came down with some airborne virus. Though I had a feeling that it had to do with not wanting to go out in the rain and risk getting exposed when wet.

The call got cut off. Lewis and I had no other option but to get inside without being seen. We quietly snuck in through the back door. Lewis helped me out of the rainjacket, overalls, and boots as they were drenched. I noticed the Sertoris had shown up on the account of Cleo being 'sick'. Lewis and I managed to get to Emma's room in stealth mode. 

"Lewis, Zoey, how did you two get in?" Emma asked after we got inside.

"The back door," Lewis replied, "What's going on?"

"Is everyone alright?" I asked.

"Well, it started to rain, so I fainted," Cleo explained.

"Now you're in quarantine," Lewis pointed out, "You guys do things the easy way, don't you?"

"Zoey, how did you get here without getting wet?" Emma wondered how I managed to get through the rain without sprouting a tail.

"I used my grandpa's waterproof overalls," I shrugged.