Nineteen: Leave The Past Where It Belongs.

Weddings?
They're super stressful.
Dahir and I decided not to have a wedding. He said it's because he'd be too excited to have me to himself but for me, it's the stress and I'm sure now he would understand.

Today thankfully is the last event.
The Dinner.
We're the ones having it so it's stressful, the other's weren't as stressful and the groom's family events were the best because we did nothing.

I'm the brides best friend so I always have to be with her which means no time for baby and I.
Plus baby, Mutassim and Abubakar aren't attending the dinner, infact the only one they attended was the daurin aure. So they're in their apartment eating and drinking their fill.

The stress of being the bride's brothers is on Bashir, Jaafar and Farouq. They'll be the one being sent on errands and driving the bride and her friends which are a lot, it's not shocking that Laura has this many friends.

I wore a bubu, I lost all interest in any shaping of dresses along time ago. I hung my veil on my shoulder and got the make up artist to tie my head tie for me. I also went with a light make up. I got the inspiration from Hailey Bieber, I think she might just be the Queen of light makeup.

I sent a few pictures to my boyfriend *wink and continued my work.

The most difficult part is whenever the girl gets emotional, which happens 95% of the time.

"That's it Rymah (a nickname only she calls me) I'm leaving home forever"
I nod "That's the prayer, would you want to be like me?"

I ask.
I was in a hurry, the last thing I wanted was for her to be late so crying was not an option, her makeup was done already.

She shakes her head.
"Exactly, so everything will be fine and we'll visit"
"Dagaske, zaku zo? (Really? You'll come?)"
"Eh, dukan mu (Yes, all of us)"

She smiles "You promised"
I nod.

::

We get out of the car.
"The bride will be coming in, in 5mins" A girl tells me before going back in the hall.

Mami walks over "Masha Allah, My girl is looking so beautiful today, I can't believe it"

She huffs "Please not now, I don't want to cry"
Mami nods before looking at me irritatedly "Overdressing like it's your wedding"

"Come on Mami, how is she overdressed? Do you know how long it took me to convince her to wear makeup? Please don't discourage her" The bride says linking my arm with hers.

"You're talking too much. Wait until you're called, I need to go welcome my guests" she walks away annoyed.

"I'm nervous" she whispers.
I smile "it's going to be fine"

"I hope so"
Fadila comes over smiling "So? How ready are you?"

"Very"
"Are you sure?"
"No"

We both laugh.
"Look, I know you're feeling on edge, wondering if this is the beginning of a lifetime or the worst decision of your life but he's the man you've always loved, you wanted this and you have it and inshallah it's the beginning of forever. Tomorrow all this will just be a memory, so don't cry and live in it. So you'll look back and smile, okay?"

She hugs me "This was why I wanted you next to me. You always give the best speeches"

I chuckle "I learnt them from Abba"
She frowns "I wish he was here"

"Don't worry, you'll see him next week, the week after and the week after that. Next month too, next year and alot more years to come inshallah".

"I wish he'd come and take Mami with her bad vibes" she jokes.

::

The rest of the night went more smoothly than I expected until it was time for the groom to take his bride.

Laura held onto me crying so much.
Fadila, Samira, a few of their cousins and her friends were all there.

Mahfouz just stood by his car, he looked happy and obviously he's used to seeing her cry.
"Why is she crying like they're taking her to a slaughterhouse?" He asks smiling sheepishly.

She glares at him and grabs me even tighter.
"I'm sorry" he mouths.

I smile and walk toward him.
He holds onto her "Thank you for dealing with this all night"
"It's my pleasure"

She tried holding onto me but he grabs the hands instead. She rest her head on his chest, raises her head to look at him and smiles shamelessly.

Fadila walks forward crying.
Honestly, I was not expecting it at all.

I put my arms around her shoulder.
They're alot of tears for a happy event.

::

I was waiting for one of my brothers to come pick me up when a familiar car pulls up infront of me.

The bride's friends and the groom's friends were gathered talking and I really wasn't interested so I called Farouq to come pick me up.

Dahir comes out smiling.
Wearing a shirt and jeans.

He walks over "You look breathtaking, you should wear that more often"
I giggle "If you want me to"

"Well, I decided to come pick up my bride myself".
"Ooh she's so lucky"

He opens the door for me.
I wink before I go in.

"Where to?" He asks smiling as he starts driving.
I chuckle "It's 12am, where else can we go to?"

He smiles "Who knows? Maybe there's a place"
"Home?"
"Perfect".

I huff looking out the window.
"What do you think love is?"

"Love?" He asks "That's unexpected"
I turn and look at him "What do you think it is. Everyone wants to experience love but what is it really?"

He huffs "Mostly pain"
"It's sad" I say.
"What is" he asked.
"I mean, you ask someone about love and they tell you about heartbreak"

"Because when there's love there's heartbreak"
I huff "Does it have to be that way?"

He nods "Yes, that's love. Loving someone even when they hurt you"
"It shouldn't be that way"

"It is. Even the purest form of love has pain. A mother's love, nothing is better or stronger than a mother's love. She loves you unconditionally and you know it, you love her as well. But it doesn't stop you from doing things she asks you not to, you know it will hurt her but you do it. I'm not talking about doing intense things that will keep her crying at night but she tells you not to go out on school night but you still do, she gets angry, pained and flogs you, you get hurt and she gets hurt as well but it won't change the fact that she'd give up anything for you in a heartbeat. Love is pain, taking that person's pain as yours, it's all love"

He holds my hand and smiles.
"Maybe that's why Mami thinks I'm not enough for you"

He shakes his head "To me you're more than enough".
I blush.

"So stop thinking about Muhammed, the past or anything related to him"
I huff "I accepted it already, but it still messes with my head sometimes".

"Karima, leave the past where it belongs. You have me now".
I smile.

::