4

Aren't guardians meant to have a good relationship with each other? I haven't heard about any gatherings of all guardians. So far, I only met Dela and Duke. How many guardians are there? How many more are cursed?

"Lord guardian, welcome. I am Milford. You can call me Milo."

A vampire wearing a dark blue cloak welcomed me as I stood in front of a cave.

"Please follow me, my Lord has been waiting for you." I nod. We entered the cave and as we go deeper, the light is fading. Until we met a very dark path, "Apologies for the darkness. We don't often use a light. I can light up a torch."

"No need." The path cannot be seen by the normal eyes, but my vision has been enhanced.

"Very well, please follow me."

It was a long tunnel, that anyone can easily lost their sense of direction. There are also few forking of paths.

"This was used by the ancient ones when we have not acquired the favor of the sun. There are several pathways used to access different cave entrances which only us know. The whole cave system is under a volcano which has turned into a mountain over time. Don't worry, we made sure that toxic fumes were removed, especially for meetings like this."

Does he mean meetings with other kinds? Other guardian? Like her?

"Lady Athena used to visit." I think I saw him smile. "But that was a very long time ago."He stopped as we reached the end of the tunnel.

"Welcome to Midnight palace." I stepped out to the light and an upside down castle hangs in the ceiling of the gigantic opening of the cave. Covered by what appears to be stalactites. There are gems and minerals that serves as reflector of the light from outside. Stars underneath the mountain.

"Midnight palace is an inverted image of the ruined castle above the mountain. Do not be worried, the rooms inside are not inverted." We continued walking, vampires stare at me. No fear even in the presence of a guardian. But there is... sadness? My nightmare flashed in my head and...

I can see myself as I stood here with Milo in front of me. As if I am watching myself from above.

I looked up. From where I think I was watching myself. But there's nothing.

"They have been informed of your presence. Everyone respects Lady Athena, they are just," he paused. "we are just curious about you. Let's proceed."

We walked several plights of stairs until we reached the top of the palace. There are roots coming out from the ceiling.

"My Lord, he is here."

Milo opened the door and I stepped inside. "I'll leave you now." He, then, closed the door behind me.

"Curious." A voice came from the shadows on the other side of the room. My sight does not seem to adjust.

"Aiden Orpheus."

The voice now came from my right side. It's odd.

"Guardian?" I merely looked over my shoulder. This room has a different atmosphere. My senses have been impaired and will be fully useless if I am a normal wolf. But this aura. This is different.

"A guardian cursed by a guardian." He continues.

"Enough of this." My words bear power as my eyes turned silver.

"Such a short fuse."

The shadows receded and my eyesight has come back to its fullest. The flap of a book which has just been closed. A man stood by a bookshelf. This is not Duke.

"You are expecting someone else." He said as he walked to a table. Sitting on it.

"Where is he?"

"Gone. Like your previous guardian."

What? "What happened?"

"I ended his miserable existence." He killed Duke? That day by her grave, he looks miserable. And probably blood thirsty but then, he wouldn't just lose over someone. Did they betray him? Like what happened to her? Was he...

"Calm down. It is an idiotic idea to draw your claws whilst in my palace" Your palace?

"Like you. I am guardian."

What? This is... He killed him then he became a guardian? That doesn't make sense.

"I know, it does not make any sense. That is why you are here. You are as curious as I am. Retract your claws, guardian."

I breathed out. My claws subconsciously extended. I can still use a wolf's power but I cannot transform into a full wolf.

"Now, a brief introduction. My name is Ajax. I have only been a guardian for a couple of months. Yes, I did technically kill my predecessor but it was in our agreement. Something I cannot disclose the details to anyone."

"Then, I suppose I cannot ask why."

He nod.

And the reason why I am here is because both of us are second generations. If my information is correct, all guardians are the first of their kind, except for the two of us. "Do you have an answer?" The only reason he would call me here is if he at least have an idea as to my very same questions.

"I have a theory but it is too early to disclose it." He needs something from me. That is all there is.

"I cannot give you any information. Not that I cannot disclose it but there is nothing to say."

"I know. But it's not you I specifically need."

I am not connected to anyone right now. Other than having a title of a guardian.

"You know someone who can only give the information I need only to you." My mind is trying to find that person he is talking about, but there is none, other than...

"Your father, he is still alive."

Only few people knows about this. The royal guards, the King and Duke. The first two won't tell anyone, specifically a stranger. Did Duke tell him?

"You don't need to know where I took this information, only that it is vital to find the answers."

"What does he have to do with this?"

He sighed. Moving to the window behind the table. overlooking the entire palace. Was he the one looking at me earlier?

"Your father was in contact with a seer. With the right words, seers can control an outcome." Is he implying that my father was manipulated? "I need to know who and where they are. I need to understand what they are planning."

"No." My father wouldn't let anyone use him. He is distrustful of everyone even if it is a seer. This man is lying.

"You think I am lying, are you?" Can he read minds? "Aren't you curious? Why your beloved guardian has been killed, if all is just a scheme. Then it has been planned that you will become a guardian. And if it is, why? Something is wrong and you know it, too."