19

Aiden's POV

"The others?" Dela chuckled hearing my question. "It makes sense that you want to know where the other guardians are, but to want to talk to them, that is.." she scoffed seemingly disliking the very idea.

"They might want to end the curse but I don't think all of them wants to do it at the expense of another guardian."

"Such naivety." She went to pour herself some tea. It's scent covers the room. Her back at me. There's something on her tone that makes me think she has something with the other guardians. She is also a first guardian, then...

"Do you want to end the curse?" I asked. Ajax's question of whether I trust her or not still lingers in my thoughts.

"Don't you?"

"I did. But not at her expense." I don't want Lucy to be sacrificed.

"What did the seer told you? Did she mention that it is our only chance?"

"She... did."

"What do you think if the other guardians heard about that? Do you think thousand years of unbearable pain will be less than one life?"

I couldn't answer.

"After years of bearing this curse, a gentle soul can turn dark." She turned towards me. "Broken." She sat down, drinking her tea before continuing. "Don't trust our responsibility to protect, because these are just shackles we want to get out of. So, to answer you... yes, I want to break this curse. Helping you is just a favor I am returning but other than that... I cannot promise anything. I'm sorry."

I immediately assumed that she will help us all the way but then, maybe this is too much to ask for. She moved to this village to have a peaceful life away from being a guardian, but here I am bringing her more than what she need.

"I'm sorry." I should not bring her more trouble. "This is not your burden. Thank you for helping us."

She just nod and I left.

Why do I always turn to someone when there is a problem? It is my problem so, I should handle it. But can I? Why is it when I gained power, I feel like a coward? I don't want to lose her. I must save her but... what should I do? I turned to the night sky, the moon peeks at the sky.

"Tell me," I whispered, "What should I do?"

Rustling.

Getting louder.

I can sense movement.

Footsteps. Heavy ones.

They are... growling.

Shadows appeared under the light of the moon. One became two, then three and more. Approaching fast. This are.

"Awhooo!!!"

Distant howls echoed. I froze for a moment knowing what is coming. Those are... like father.

"Lycans." I muttered.

Growling and...

"Aaaahhhhh!!!" Screams ignite with the sudden commotion from the end of the village.

"They are everywhere." One of the villagers panicked stricken. They are attacking everyone is running.

"Help!!"

My sight adjusted to a villager about to be attacked. My feet pushed from the ground, claws immediately covered in sharp ice.

*Slash* *Punch*

The sharp ice throttled on its neck and there was a thud as it's body fell on the ground. I turned to the villager, helping her up. "Run." She shakingly nod before hurrying away.

The houses are on fire and their screams and growls are too hard to tell apart. Another one is charging towards me, I slashed my hand and spikes of ice shot at it but it dodged, about to claw me if I had not blocked it. It's towering figure oozes with bloodlust as it tries to push and push.Another one is coming from behind so I jumped away, making them collide. tumbling on a cart. Both of them immediately recovered and turned towards me in anger. Claws are sharp and and bloodied.

*Bark* *Growl* They dashed and I just made it in time to pull up an ice barrier. A loud bang and the ice broke, the impact pushing me aback. Crashing to a house.

The picture of father turning to a Lycan still crawls in my head, he was gonna kill me. I can't fight him, if Laine's spell did not take effect I would have been dead. With these many, how can I win this? How can I...

They tear through the rubbles searching for me. They are stronger, there are many of them, how can I?

*Swoosh*

Someone dashed in front of me. Blocking me from the two Lycans. Wait, this is...

"Lucy!" That was Ajax's voice. And Lucy, she stood in front of me, arms spread out trying to block me from my attacker.

"Lucy." My hand reached for her. "Why?" Why are you protecting me? Wasn't I the one who should save you?

The two big monsters does not seem to faze her. As she stood her ground.Then, a crackling sound was followed with loud thuds.

"Why the hell are you sitting there?" Ajax appeared as Lucy let down her arms.

"Get up!" He yelled. "This monsters are a pain. Stay here, you two." He bolted out.A hand touched my face. She peeks at me, her eyes... curious.

"Aiden." She called. I awoken from my trance and stood up.

"I'm sorry." I took her hand. "I'm sorry."

She smiled understanding.

"Let's go."

She nod. I won't let her go. I promised myself as I hold on her hand tight walking out of the rubbles. I will protect her so, I have to be strong.

I can feel my power surging through my veins. A Lycan about to jump at us but as I turned to it, a spike of ice sprouted from the ground. Piercing its body.

"Stay by my side, okay?"

We continued on our way. I have to eliminate them. I won't let them hurt Lucy. My breath turns cold, my free hand is covered in ice as I slashed and shot the attackers. I have to protect Lucy, no matter what. I have to save her. I have to. My chest begun to constrict as I felt the coldness of my power. But I have to fight no matter what.

"I will protect her."

The monster is covered in ice, unable to move, yet trying to break it, but I every ice it tore, I put back more. I walk towards, ice trailing my footsteps as I make another claws of ice on my hand. You dare attack. You dare hurt my Lucy.

"I will kill..."

I stopped. Something tugged my left hand. I turned towards it, her. She was holding onto my hand but unmoving.

"Stop." Her small voice pleads.

"Stop." She repeated. She finally looked at me, her eyes are welling with tears.

"No more."

My heart melted at her words. The claws I made melted, too.

She shook her head, repeating "no more."

"I won't." I answered facing her. "I won't." Was I the monster all along?