17

"I have to save her." Dela pulled my hand.

"It's dangerous. The tree is keeping us away. It's protecting its power source."

"No. I save to save her. No matter what." I have to. That is my promise. Her grip loosened and I ran straight for Lucy. Dodging the roots and branches. I have to save her. I chanted as I charged through. It tries to tangle my leg but I cut it off. But it grows again trying to wrap. I can't lose here. I have to save her.

*Zap* Thunder struck a branch. This power.

"Go!" It's Ajax. I nod, continuing to dodge and cut the attacks.

"Lucy." I clawed on the trunk as I reached to her. She is unconscious. "Lucy, wake up." I can't untangle it. It's tougher than the branches. But I have to save her. No matter what. No matter...

'Burn.'

Can I? I have to try.

"Burn!" The roots entangling her ran amok. I clawed out the burning parts to prevent it from hurting her. I have to save her.

"Lucy. Lucy wake up." The branches are about to attack us. If she is powering this tree then, if I take her out, it will all fall down.

"Aiden." Her eyes slowly opened. One is gold, one is red.

"I'll save you." I said as I try to burn the incoming attacks. "Hold on to me. Okay?" I felt her nod. And I pulled her away as much as I could. "Let her go!" I pulled her with so much force that we are thrown away. I encased her in my arms makng sure that she won't get hurt.

*Thud*

We rolled on the ground.

*Crumble*

The roots are reaching for us. And... A shield blocked it. Dela stood in front of us. The roots unable to reach us. Slowly, it crumbles, it started to dry up and its branches fall down with a loud thud.

"Is she alright?" Duke... I mean Ajax, asked.

"Lucy." She is still clinging on me. "It's alright now." I pat her head. "It's alright." She slowly inched herself away, glancing back at me. "It's alright." I repeated.

"Aiden came back." There was surprise in her face before tears fell on her cheeks.

"I will not leave you again. I'm sorry."

..."What happened?" We went to Dela's place. Lucy is sleeping on my lap, still clinging on my hand.

"I felt a change in the wind. When I arrived, that big tree was there. You two (me and Ajax) were swallowed by that tree. Both of you seems to be asleep."

Was it all a dream?

"Even if I wanted to help you, my power seemed to be out of reach. That tree... where did you two got it?"

"Elena, the guardian of Sirens gave it to us. She said it can stop the curse." I answered in a hushed tone. I don't want to wake up Lucy.

"It is effective then. Even for a short time, I can say that it tried to change us."

"I didn't know that it has to take her, did Elena explicitly kept this information secret?" Was I still playing at her hands? These thoughts made my blood boil.

"Calm down, you'll wake her." Dela reminded.

I noticed Ajax being quiet in a corner. I wonder what did he dreamed about? How did he got out?

"I'll leave you three to rest. Let's talk later." Dela stood up and went out.

"Hey," I called to Ajax, "Are you alright?"

He just narrowed his eyes, staring at the sleeping Lucy.

"I'm fine. Look after her."

"I will."

He then vanished from my sight. Whatever his dream was, it must be also be... heartbreaking.---

Ajax's POV

My mind is still hazy. That dream almost seems real. But she was there and I was... feeling something. I was happy.

In that dream I was real and she loves me. There was nothing else but us. No curse. No past. That's when I knew it can't be true. Although I want to succumb in that dream, I know it is just a wishful thinking. This reality may be bitter but it is the only thing I have, my chance.

I know I have to wake up. I still have to break the curse. I did not completely account that the tree will catch me, too. It is indeed powerful.

However, it doesn't seem to go as planned. He did not come to rescue her and most of all, that guy awakened that power. It won't be long before he remembers, before she, too, remembers. But with this information, and if I am also aware of this, He won't let it slide and in that moment, I will kill Him.

Because the sun did not love the moon, it was the moon's love that he took.