13

We went to the daycare room and the girl, Riri, is still in her day-off. So far the day runs smooth. The story she told about the war between wolves and vampires, it was from her experience, I presume. From her words, I can sense her sadness. Our silent guardian. She is a legend I tried to overthrow.

Around lunch, Kai confirmed that they are still trailing Riri. Today is when they took her, so I advised them to use force if needed. I don't care if he is the prince of whatever, that kind of action is not worthy of a title.

"Here." I handed a bottle of water as I returned to the room. I haven't seen her eat during lunch. I sat next to her, on the floor, our backs on the wall.

"Nala is used to you. They are starting to easen towards you." She said putting down the bottle. It's not exactly because I am good with kids. My pack was almost made of orphans. I thought we were a safehaven. But then, we were all just tools to his plan.

"They are the future, so we must take care of them. Fate should not taint their innocence." I stared at the sleeping ones. Peaceful. And I want to keep that peace. As long as I could. I do not want another war, I know how cruel it is. To lose everything, to beg for mercy, to ask for help. I had to stand up on my own at a very young age. When I became aware of what my father is capable, I knew I had to stop him.

"Thank you." She whispered. There is a smile drawn on her lips as she stared outside. The light is warm, touching her face perfectly. I don't want to lose her ever again.

*Bzzz...* *Bzzz...* She took out her phone. I caught a glimpse of the Duke's name on the screen.

"Sorry. I have to answer this." She stood up and went outside.

Duke is still alive during this time. Maybe I should talk to him. The last time I saw him... He cares deeply for Laine. I can probably tell him about the southern coven since I can't go to Sicilia right now.

The sky suddenly turned dark. Is there a rain coming? A heavy feeling wraps my chest.

I stood up to get a clearer view. It was a sunny sky a minute ago.

Footstep.

I turned around and found her standing by the door.This aura. Her brows furrowed as she clenched the phone on her hand.

"What's wrong?" Does she know that I returned from the future?

She gritted her teeth, looking... irritated? Why?

"Tell them I have an emergency."

She said turning away. Wait, this did not happen before.

"Wait." I stopped her.

"Don't." Just then I felt her voice as if it was a command. Something's amiss. I pulled away my hold obeying her will. She left the room.

"Wait." But she disappeared.

Right. She can move to places. Does it have something to do about Riri? I took out my phone and tried to call Kai. But he did not answer.

"Come on." It kept on ringing but no one answered. The sky is still dark. Did something go wrong? No.

"Are you alright?" Mirielle, one of the staff, probably notice my impatience. I can't just stand here.

"Please look after the kids."

"Uh---" I did not wait for her answer as I rushed out. I remember the villa where Riri was held. But the time is still early. I did not take the car and run through the woods.

Will it all go back to the same outcome? My fear constricts my breathing as I try to run faster. I can't let this happen. I stopped on the gate. There are no guards, no... werewolves. They are not here. Did it change? But they are supposed to be here.

"Look who do we have here." A familiar voice came from my right. Duke. Leaning on the wall as if expecting me. He was here that time. I thought it was him who knocked out the wolves but if I am correct, it was Laine who did it,

"No ones home."

"Where is..." I can't exactly say that I know what will happen.

"She's safe. Those wolves will need some reeducation."

I sighed in relief. That's good. I looked up and the sky is still dim. Laine must have heard about the attempt and is probably worried. I can breathe for now.

"It won't rain."

Right. I'm not supposed to know about that.

"Do you want to tell me anything?" He raised his brow, he is protective of her. Should I tell him now? But there is this underlying fear that I won't be able to do anything. He sighed. "Whatever it is, know that if you hurt her, I will..." His threat resounded on my mind. He did not continue his sentence but proceeded to walk away.

Even if I returned, how can I be sure that fate will not correct what I bend?

-----
(Updates every weekend. Because I have to work (⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠)