Chapter 33

Warning: Violent Content

~Dainin~

The forest was quiet with only the sound of Dainin's paws hitting the soil. In his haste, he jumped over a fallen tree, causing Sonia to cling to his back as if her life depended on it.

"Don't be surprised if we're missing some fur," his wolf complained, needing to distract himself as they pressed on.

Their trip to White Sand was surprisingly uneventful since the house was abandoned. Escaping was easy enough, but Dainin hesitated when they reached the border.

"What if we can make it to Tessa from here," he wondered, looking off into the direction of Blue Ridge.

"You know she would tell you, "The pack comes first"," his wolf stated, but the truth didn't make his first few steps over the border any easier. He huffed, signaling Sonia to hold on again, before running toward the packhouse.

Once they arrived at the edge of the clearing, they hid in some brush and watched the fight. Dainin could tell there weren't many Rogues, but the damage was far more extensive than he expected.

His wolf howled in agony through their link as his eyes fell on the lifeless bodies of his pack members. Before he could sink his teeth into a passing Rogue, Sonia gripped his fur, stopping him.

"Wait," she spoke softly in his ear as she slid off his back.

Dainin watched as she moved her hands through the air, following something he couldn't see. She was entranced, dancing with the breeze. The snarling from the battle caught Dainin's attention and he once again fought his urge to join the fight.

"She has to know something we don't," he thought, trying to convince himself that waiting was the right thing to do. In seconds, he heard a gasp and immediately turned to face the threat.

"There it is," Sonia sighed with relief as her hands caressed something in the air. She closed her eyes and turned her face to the sun. The wind picked up in a gust, whipping debris all around them, then disappeared as fast as it came. Sonia's hands fell to her sides and the woods became quiet once more.

Dainin rushed to the clearing and found the Rogues had disappeared.

"They're alive," his wolf rejoiced as every fallen Warrior rose slowly to their feet.

Sonia joined Dainin with a proud smile on her face. "Luckily, that was a simple sleep spell. It was made to cast anyone it touched into a deep slumber. The "Rogues" were merely an illusion used to spread the spell," she explained, becoming distracted before focusing her attention back on Dainin.

"Now, we need to see if the path to your mate's territory has opened. If not, there might be another spell," Sonia said pulling his fur to get on Dainin's back, but she froze when a threatening growl sounded behind them.

Dainin's eyes narrowed in confusion when he saw it was Elijah's wolf slowly stalking towards them baring his teeth while his eyes flashed between his human shade and the shade of his wolf.

Dainin wasted no time in shifting into his human form. "Shift, Elijah," he ordered, using his Alpha command. He held the wolf's gaze as Elijah's wolf tried to fight it, but in the end, he obeyed.

Elijah's body morphed into his human self as Sonia stood frozen with her eyes wide. "Mate," he whispered in disbelief. "How is this possible," Elijah questioned, calmly approaching Sonia to gently run his thumbs over her cheek. It was rare for a wolf to have a second chance mate, especially from a different supernatural species.

"Well, now he can leave our mate alone," Dainin's wolf growled with jealousy.

Dainin ignored him and cleared his throat, breaking the pair's connection. "Congratulations to you both, but we need to get to Blue Ridge," he pointed out. He didn't want to lose his mate while they just found each other, and he didn't care if that made him selfish.