Chapter 18

~Dainin~

Memorizing the feeling of Tessa's touch, and the way she felt in his arms, helped Dainin gain full control of his wolf. If the Moon Goddess was watching over them, this was a cruel joke she played. "A lifetime together isn't long enough," he thought, breathing in her scent, knowing they'd soon be scouring every inch of this forest for those filthy Rogues that dared threaten Tessa's life.

"I will admit, they were barely a threat to her. Did you see the way she took them down?" His wolf was impressed and Dainin's chest swelled with pride. The strength and skill Tessa displayed were breathtaking, but she was still his mate. Anyone who wanted to harm her would pay with their lives.

"How could John do this to her? He was her father's best friend and now he wants to take over Blue Ridge by any means necessary," Dainin questioned, but his wolf was silently trying to make sense of it all himself. One thing was certain, neither of them was willing to stand by and watch their mate be killed. Just the thought of losing her sent a cold sensation of grief through Dainin's body. He could feel the rage begin to bubble up inside of him again, but he needed to suppress his anger and focus on Tessa.

"If John really was behind the attack and unity of the Rogues in Arizona then I'm sure war is coming. We need to be prepared," his wolf spoke, already thinking about the preparations needed to be made.

Tessa's soft sobs pulled Dainin from his thoughts. He held her head gently against his chest, placing his palm along the back of her neck. "Talk to me, Tess. I'm here," he cooed, softly rocking her back and forth. The feeling of her trembling hands, clasped tightly around his waist, made his heart ache as her grief flooded through the bond, making tears start to build in his own eyes.

When Tessa finally spoke, it was barely above a broken whisper. "He murdered my family, Dainin," she sobbed. "Their death was caused by an ambush with his Rogues and he's covered it up all these years! Lied to all of us," she spat the words as if they were poison and her body shook with anger.

"Back then, if I hadn't stayed behind for training, I would have been dead too and the pack would have been his," Tessa stated, trying to pull away but Dainin refused to break his hold. He could feel her guilt taking over and he couldn't let her go down that path.

Dainin rested both palms against the sides of her neck to wipe the falling tears from her eyes. "Listen to me. Do not feel guilty that you survived. The Moon Goddess set you on a different path," he encouraged, but his heart broke as Tessa shook her head in disagreement.

"What if I could have saved them? I could have made a difference," Tessa sobbed, collapsing against Dainin's chest. She began pounding her fists against his skin as she continued to cry, but Dainin didn't try to stop her. He would allow her to do whatever it took to ease her pain.

"My poor little brother," she cried out in despair. "He was only twelve. He had his whole life ahead of him. A mate waiting for him, and that coward ripped all that away," she yelled in disgust, but Dainin had no words to console his mate. Eventually, Tessa's hands fell to her sides in defeat as the old wounds were ripped open with the knowledge her family's deaths were meaningless acts of betrayal for power.

"He will be punished, slowly, if we ever get our hands on him," Dainin's wolf growled his promise as their rage continued to build.

"We will. One way or another," Dainin swore as he kept his breathing even. Right now, he needed to get his mate back to the packhouse before the other Alphas arrived. He knew she would not want anyone to see her this way.

***

Dainin cradled Tessa in his arms as he made his way to the packhouse. He wasn't surprised to see Zander and Cadence anxiously waiting on the steps. When he emerged from the woods, they ran to him with concern etched on their faces.