Chapter 5

~Dainin~

"Look at this place," Alan admired as they drove through the small town within Blue Ridge. Their pack land was beautiful and well-kept with a packhouse, resembling a five-star hotel, plenty of private housing, and even their own working farm. The landscape was vibrant and Dainin wondered how his pack would adjust to moving from the desert to a lush forest.

"They'll love it. We'll all be able to run and live freely here," his wolf assured him, and he was right. The chance of being discovered by humans was slim this far in the forest and Blue Ridge proved there was potential to live comfortably.

Dainin and his warriors turned up a long-hidden driveway behind the large black wolf who was escorting them. At the end was a three-story French colonial surrounded by beautifully maintained property and a breathtaking garden in the center of the rounded driveway.

While they exited their vehicles the wolf shifted back into a man and waited for them at the door. "Dainin, this is the Gamma here, Zander Turner," Alan introduced when they approached him.

Zander extended his large hand, and they exchanged a strong handshake. "Nice to meet you, Alpha Monroe," he responded with a serious expression.

"It's nice to meet you too. Thanks for showing us the way," Dainin said with a raised brow when Zander blatantly started looking him over from head to toe.

"Is he looking to start a fight," Dainin's wolf growled, causing Dainin's grip to tighten, but Zander didn't seem to notice and released his hand before turning to the door. Dainin glanced toward Alan for an explanation, but his brother merely shrugged.

"Don't take it personally. They all seem to be intimidating," he explained, wrapping his arms protectively around himself. "You should have seen the glare their Beta gave me. If she weren't mated to this guy, I would love to have her look me over thoroughly," Alan said, releasing a dreamy sigh.

Dainin rolled his eyes, shaking his head. His brother was shameless. "One, I'm not intimidated by anyone. Two, if his mate is a female Beta, I'm sure she wouldn't put up with you," he stated plainly, but Alan looked back over his shoulder, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Cut it out," Dainin chuckled, shoving Alan into the foyer, then he motioned for everyone to follow. They all watched as Zander slid the pocket doors open, exposing a formal living room. The interior was modernized but still had a comfortable atmosphere. It was very suitable for a family.

"Why are you bringing up a family? Our mate won't even look at us," Dainin's wolf teased, but Zander turned to address the group before Dainin had a chance to argue.

"This guest house used to be the late Alpha's estate. It has everything you'll need, but notify the warriors outside if something is missing," Zander explained.

"Please, tell your Alpha we appreciate his hospitality," Dainin said, looking at Zander with a smile, but Zander's face remained expressionless.

Dainin looked to Alan, who was hiding his smirk. "What am I missing here," he snapped, raising an eyebrow when Alan became serious.

"Dainin, the Alpha is...," he started, but before he could finish his answer Zander moved to stand in front of the doors.

"I'll let you get settled. The warriors will escort you to the packhouse when you're ready," he informed, crossing his arms while looking over the warriors with scrutiny.

"We have training before dinner at four o'clock. You're all welcome to join," he said, judgment heavy in his tone. Dainin's warriors grew tense when Zander looked at their Alpha, but Dainin refused to be intimidated.