Chapter 13

*Mature Content*

~Tessa~

Tessa closed her bathroom door and stripped out of her training clothes. Her mind raced with everything she's done since the Rogues were spotted a few days ago. She couldn't help but worry for her pack's safety, but it was obvious the Rogues were interested in White Sand and not Blue Ridge.

"As the neighboring Alpha, it's our responsibility to protect them, but they are our mate's pack too," her wolf casually mentioned, but Tessa didn't have the energy to argue with her. All she wanted was a hot bath.

Sitting on the cool edge of her large claw foot tub, Tessa turned the knob and became lost in the waterfall that cascaded from her faucet. When the water began to rise, she gently placed a bath bomb into the hot water and watched it fizzle into a satisfying pastel rainbow then stood in front of the mirror.

Dark circles enhanced the exhausted look in her eyes and fly aways stuck to her cheeks from sweat. "This is a look," she cringed, pulling her long hair free from the ponytail. After a long day, her roots instantly relaxed and Tessa couldn't resist kneading her fingertips over her aching scalp.

Feeling satisfied, Tessa turned off the faucet and slowly submerged herself into the welcoming embrace of the hot soapy water. The aroma reminded her of Dainin and the thought of him made her heart race. When she rested her head back, she closed her eyes and imagined he was smiling at her.

"He is so handsome," her wolf admired and Tessa agreed. She yearned to hear his laugh and missed Dainin just as much as her wolf. They hadn't seen him since she tracked him down on his territory when the Rogues were spotted.

Tessa had followed their scent as far as she could and discovered they were heading in the direction of the human's town. After that, Zander reported no sign of them near the other borders, but Tessa ordered Cadence to notify the other Alphas in the area about what happened. Since that day, there have been no encounters with any Rogues.

"Maybe they were just curious wanderers who were being cautious," her wolf said, trying to remain optimistic, but Tessa couldn't fully agree. Something wasn't sitting right with her, but that was the last time she saw her mate.

Amid the commotion, Dainin's pack arrived and he became consumed with the task of getting everyone settled into their new home. Tessa observed them from a distance, catching a glimpse of him during her "recon mission", as Zander called it, but she was able to see Dainin was a kind and fair Alpha who was adored by his pack.

He respected her wishes and kept the news about finding his mate a secret, but Tessa had to keep her wolf in check each time a young, she-wolf flaunted themselves in front of him like a piece of meat.

"He's ours," she stated coldly, and a slight pang of jealousy surged through her chest, an emotion she's never felt before.

"I'm not sure I like this," Tessa complained as she rubbed her chest before submerging her head under the soapy water. She stayed like that for a minute to enjoy the peaceful silence, but when she emerged, she heard someone knocking loudly on her bedroom door.

"That's strange," she thought, stepping out of the tub and dressing in a bathrobe. "I'm coming," she called out, carelessly drying her hair with a towel, but froze at the door. Her wolf was overjoyed, which could only mean one thing.

His scent engulfed her before she saw him as she slowly opened the door. Her eyes traveled up his long bare legs to his hips, where his basketball shorts hung dangerously low, then stopped when his unbelievably toned abs and chest filled her view.

A deep growl of satisfaction rumbled in her throat when she met his eyes and her palm itched, wanting to run over the rough texture of his five o'clock shadow. The way Dainin towered over her was godlike, making her feel small and powerless to his charm. His usual chocolate brown eyes were dark and swirling with need. Tessa held her breath when his gaze left her lips, moving lower to find she only wore a robe. She didn't dare move.

A possessive growl resonated from his chest as he snaked his arm around her waist, pulling her into his body before moving into the bedroom and slamming the door behind him. In seconds, Tessa found her back against the hardwood with Dainin's large body pressed against hers.

"I like this," her wolf sighed blissfully when his breath fanned the skin in the crook of Tessa's neck, making her shiver with delight, but it was the heat coming off his bare thigh, pressed between her legs, that held her attention.

Tessa's breath hitched when his hand traveled down her back to caress her ass through the soft fabric. "Dainin," she called breathlessly, placing her palms against his bare chest. Tessa instantly felt the sparks from their bond rush down her arms.

Dainin growled, pressing his leg against her exposed center. The subtle graze of his facial hair brushing the soft skin of her neck triggered her thighs to constrict against his leg and Tessa knew she could no longer deny her feelings.

Placing a soft kiss behind her ear, Dainin hummed in satisfaction. "Mmm, I've missed you too," he bellowed, resting his forehead against her own with a smirk playing on his lips. The sound of his voice sent a delightful shiver down her spine.

Tessa moved her arms around his neck, pulling him impossibly closer as she closed her eyes and inhaled his sweet scent. "Honestly, I really have missed you and it's only been a few days," she admitted, enjoying the feeling of his arms wrapping sweetly around her waist.

"Well, I'm here now," he noted, his voice rich with affection.