Chapter 25

~Dainin~

It was the middle of the afternoon when the sky opened, releasing a light drizzle over the crowd. The onlookers in the stands, and the warriors on the practice field, rejoiced as the cool rain gave them a break from the relentless humidity.

Everyone from Dainin's pack joined Blue Ridge to watch hundreds of the region's warriors work their way through the rigorous tests and obstacles. It was not only a test of strength but also teamwork. The Warriors taking charge of the group needed to prove they deserved a higher rank in the guard.

Dainin wasn't surprised to discover Tessa designed this system after forming her Elite squad. He overheard the other Alphas praising her methods. Dainin knew firsthand how stubborn males can be and for an Alpha to set aside his pride to give her credit was a big deal.

"We should consider making one of those squads too," his wolf chimed in with excitement as they watched a few wolves from his pack take charge. Some were even females. His warriors continued impressing him with their skills and he was pleased to see they were holding their own.

Since moving to Maine, many wolves swore they'd never be vulnerable again and found a new sense of purpose. They all wanted to make enemies fear even the thought of attacking White Sand.

"With the Blue Ridge Warriors as our neighbors it won't be hard to keep things challenging," his wolf pointed out.

"I agree," Dainin thought with a smirk as he continued watching the rounds of sparring.

***

During intermission, Dainin sat under a small tent at the edge of the field to get out of the heavy rain. While watching the water pour off the edge, his thoughts drifted to the briefing Tessa held right before the exams.

The news of John having a witch caused panic to rise throughout the group. Luckily, everyone remained faithful to the cause and didn't run away with their tails between their legs.

Knowing the Witch has the ability to conceal the Rogue army's existence made Dainin uneasy. Her cooperation also explained how John and his Rogues got so close to White Sand in Arizona undetected.

"And that was only a small group," his wolf noted. "We only have a better chance now because we have greater numbers fighting with us," he finished.

Dainin remained silent. He couldn't argue with the truth. They still had no idea why his pack was targeted in the first place, especially if John's goal was to control Blue Ridge all along.

"Maybe it's the mystery mate of the witch who has a grievance with the pack," his wolf wondered, trying to make sense of it all.

"It's possible. It might even be a grudge from long before we became Alpha," Dainin considered. They both grew frustrated with the uncertainty hanging in the air. The crucial fact was they needed to prepare for the worst.

Movement in the neighboring tent caught Dainin's attention. Of course, his eyes fell immediately on Tessa's form. She wore her hair pulled back in a long tight ponytail and Dainin couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of his mark on her skin.

Unconsciously, his fingertips played over the mark she left on him, sending a static sensation through his body. He smiled when Tessa's body tensed and her hand traveled over the sensitive skin of her mark. He watched her slowly glance over her shoulder, but her eyes didn't quite reach him.

"You feel it too, love. Don't deny it," Dainin thought, laughing at her struggle to keep her composure. His playful moment ceased when he watched Ronan place a supporting hand between her shoulders to bring her attention back to the small group of Alphas.