Chapter 35

~Tessa~

The doctor nodded in understanding and motioned for Tessa to sit down. She joined Dainin on the bed and noticed he was already tensing up with worry.

"Relax," she urged him through the link, in hopes to comfort him. She couldn't resist curling her arm through his. "How bad could the news be," she asked, resting her head on his broad shoulder.

Dainin only huffed in response and wasted no time in taking her hand in his, sending pleasant sparks up her arm. "I missed you," she whispered, placing a soft kiss on his shoulder. She was relieved to see his posture start to relax.

The doctor cleared his throat, bringing their attention back to him. "Alpha, you may not remember this, but you had suffered extensive damage to your ribs. Although you're healed, the area will still be tender for the next couple of days," he explained and carried on about her limitations.

"He's clearly overreacting," her wolf spoke. She was offended at how weak this doctor was making her out to be and Tessa agreed.

"I can assure you, I'm perfectly fine," she honestly said. Her body felt rejuvenated, especially after she and Dainin's amorous encounter, which she was looking forward to repeating very soon.

However, Tessa's bliss disappeared as she watched Dainin soak the doctor's recommendations up like a sponge. "Don't think you can keep me locked up, mate," she argued, seeing the gears turning in his mind. Dainin only gave her a wink before focusing back on the doctor.

"If that's your plan just know you're staying with me," Tessa purred, sending promises of all the things she'd do to him the next time they were alone. It satisfied her to see him try to adjust himself to hide his excitement. With a light chuckle, Tessa placed her hand innocently on his thigh, drawing small circles with her fingers.

"Now, moving on to your test results," the doctor stated, skimming over the information on his clipboard.

"Luckily, I don't see any abnormalities in your blood from when you attacked that abomination, but I still collected a sample from the source to be sure," he explained and Tessa nodded, moving her hand further up Dainin's thigh, causing him to squirm.

"All great news," she said happily. "So, if you don't mind, my pack needs their Alpha," she stated and swung her legs over the edge of the hospital bed.

"Actually, that's not all," the doctor said. Now, it was Tessa's turn to be tense.

"Please, just tell us what else you found," Dainin urged him on.

"I understand you are both a newly mated pair, correct," the doctor asked.

"You've been part of this pack for years. You know that's true," Tessa pointed out. "Just say what you have to say," she ordered.

"You're pregnant, Alpha," he said, quickly breaking the news as if he were ripping off a Band-Aid.

Tessa's brows came together in confusion, then shock at the realization of his words. "Pregnant," she echoed as the room began to spin.

"We're what," her wolf asked in equal surprise. A female wolf can normally sense the presence of a pup after conception, but Tessa's had no idea.

"I haven't really been focusing on our body lately though, not with everything going on," she admitted shamefully.

Tessa was too surprised to blame her. She never once thought about using protection with Dainin. He was her mate for goddess' sake, but she still wasn't expecting this to happen so soon. She was already questioning if she was ready to be a mother.