Welcome to the World of Night

Who knew that after a tragetic event, the death of a child's parents, would turn the world for Elijah Ryder upside down.

As an old, gray haired man with beard entered a bar, called the Graveyard Shift. He was carrying a young child over his shoulder which didn't stopped crying. Two familar faces inside the building greeted him as he entered... but, they weren't ordinary people.

"Elijah, what happened and who's...?", a young fae payed his attention towards the old man and the sad child.

"It's not good to bring a child into a bar.", Krom, the stone troll added.

Elijah Ryder was a nighthunter who lived alone and often visited the Graveyard Shift for a drink, but this time it was something else. He had a tiny companion, a young toddler, about 5 years old who's been crying for a long time.

"Shhh, stop crying. It's alright, you're safe now. Calm down, child."

"Mom!! Dad!!", it cried. Tears covered his face, his sobs getting louder and everyone around him getting now restless.

"Garrus, my child, do you have anything from the fae realm to make this child calm down?", the old man asked who took a seat as he tried to calm the little boy down.

"I am not sure if we should...", Garrus couldn't even finish his sentence as suddenly Krom took the boy from Elijah away and placed it on his lap. His heavy arms wrapped around the toddler as he calmly wispered to calm it down.

"Hey, hey, brave boys don't cry. If you continue crying, you're going to make me sad too.", the stone troll got emotional, wrapped his heavy arms carefully around him and pulled him closer for a hug.

Several minutes passed until the little boy has calmed himself down, but still couldn't hold back his tears. Elijah already filled Garrus and Krom in about what happened to the child. The boy and his parents were having a picnic for his mom's birthday. There, his parents got attacked by a mysterious monster. His mother even shoved him towards the bush and told him to run, but when he saw them being killed, he screamed and caught the monster's attention. But before the monster could do anything to him, Elijah Ryder came to rescue. He picked up the boy and ran, the monster howling behind them. Elijah covered the eyes of the child from the sight of his parents' bodies as he passed. He sang quietly to it, all the way out of the bayou, and let the young boy cry all over him...

"Yes, and that's what happened."

"Oh dear, this is terrible. I wish..."

Suddenly the kid pulled away from Krom, ran towards the Graveyard Shift it's door until Elijah caught him to prevent the child's escape.

"Stop, you're not goin' anywhere. It's too dangerous as a child alone is such a big city."

"And Mom and Dad? I want to go to Mom and Dad. I want them back."

"They're gone, my boy. Forever."

"Monster. I'm scared.", the boy said in a shaky voice.

"Don't you have other family members you know? They can help you.", Krom asked.

"No, I don't. I am alone."

"You won't and you don't have to be scared anymore because I will adopt you, take care of you now. You don't deserve living alone in this horrible world. Tomorrow morning, I will take care about the adoption papers."

"Sir, you can't be serious? It's such a huge responsibility and..."

"I know, Garrus.", Elijah looked at him in a serious expression and then turned his attention to the boy again. He went to his knees, placed his hand on the child's shoulder and smiled warmly.