Chapter 10 - Party girl down

Ellie

"I'm sorry we had to leave," I say to Jenna again as we pull up near the frat house.

"It's fine. I worry about Lydia too, you know."

I unbuckle and get out. Luckily, we find a parking spot not too far away because my shoes are not made for walking.

"What exactly did Trisha say?" Jenna asks as she hurries up beside me. She has more sensible shoes on.

"Not much. Just that Lydia is passed out and we need to come get her."

"I really hope she's ok."

"Me too," I say as I hurry up the front steps and push the door open.

Inside, the music is blaring. It smells like body odor and cheap beer. The lights are dim and I spot more than one couple making out heavily.

Jenna closes in behind me and we push our way past the throngs of people.

"Upstairs, I think," I yell over the music. Jenna nods and we find the staircase.

I reach the hallway and start opening doors. The first bedroom is occupied by two women putting on a show for a guy. Neither of the women is Lydia, so I close the door and open the next one. Someone yells at me to get out and I make sure he's alone in his bed before I move on.

The fourth room is the bathroom where someone clearly has been sick.

I open the fifth door and take in the situation in a heartbeat. Lydia is passed out on the bed and some guy is standing over her, shaking her shoulder.

"Get away from her." I launch myself into the room, ready to fight him with all my strength.

He raises his hands. "I wasn't doing anything, I swear. I was just trying to wake her up."

"Oh yeah, and then what?" I push him away from the bed and sit down next to Lydia. She's breathing steadily and I sigh in relief.

"Nothing, I promise. I wouldn't do anything to her."

I scoff and turn my back to him, and try to wake Lydia up.

Behind me, Jenna has caught up to me and comes inside.

"Ellie, is she ok?"

"I think so." I pat her cheek and she moans.

"Jenna, right?" the guy says, and she looks him up and down.

"Oh, you're in my feminist class. Andrew?"

"Andy. And yeah."

"Do you know what happened to her?"

"I'm not sure. We were all having a good time and then someone suggested a drinking game. Lydia went all in. Pretty soon, I saw her friends drag her up here. When they came back down, I thought I should check on her."

Lydia grunts and moves, and a horrified thought crosses my mind. I quickly lift her dress and check. She's still wearing her underwear.

"Do you trust him, Jenna?"

"I think so. I'm pretty sure he's gay."

I look over at Andy again, and he gives me a little wave. "I am. And she can sleep here if you want."

I shake my head. "I don't think so. We'll take her home."

"Ellie." The word is slurred and drawn out, but at least Lydia's eyes are open. "You came to party."

"Sure. We're going to party all the way to the car, ok?"

"Ok. I love you, sis. I'm sorry I used to call you a dirtbag."