Chapter 27 - Picture perfect anticipation

Ellie

During the ride from the airport, we drive through the town where the ski resort is. Surrounded by mountains, there's one main street. I spot smaller streets with cafés and gift shops as we make our way past the houses and apartment buildings.

I have no idea what to expect, so when we reach an area with detached houses and they get bigger, I'm a little surprised.

The driver turns onto a private road and stops outside of a huge house. It looks like a small hotel with its unpainted walls and many gables.

I'm still staring at it when the front door opens and Charlie steps out, followed by a man in a knitted sweater with reindeer on it.

"Ellie," she comes down the steps in a pair of fluffy slippers and I meet her so she won't have to step onto the snow with them. "You made it. How was your flight?" She hugs me tightly and I can feel she's more relaxed here than she was at Dirty.

"It was fine. Thank you so much for arranging it all."

The man, who I assume is George, has already helped the driver get my bags.

"We are so happy to have you here," he says as he puts the bags inside the door.

"Yes, Ellie, this is George Rowland. George, this is Ellie."

"Your aunt talks a lot about you and your sister Lydia," he smiles and holds out a hand.

I take it. His handshake is warm and firm.

"It's so nice of you to let me stay here."

He waves off my comment. "I love having a house full of people. I never had kids of my own, so this is great."

"Come inside, I'm getting cold," Charlie says and pulls her long, flowy cardigan closer.

"Yes, come on in," George says and puts an arm over Charlie's shoulders as if it was the most natural thing in the world for him to warm her up.

The inside is as spectacular as the outside. There's a staircase leading up to the second floor in the open lobby. Straight ahead, I glean a living room and a spectacular view of the mountains.

"This is the dining room," my aunt says and opens a door to a cozy room with a table large enough to fit twelve people. "The bedrooms are all upstairs."

She takes me on a quick tour of the house, showing me the extravagant kitchen with a dining nook, breakfast bar, and more breathtaking views. There's a library, another sitting room, a tv room and an office.

The house is large and luxurious, but it's also warm and inviting. With the frozen landscape outside, it's the perfect place to spend Christmas. There's a large Christmas tree in the living room and a fire crackles in the open fireplace.

George sat down in what I can only assume is his usual chair as soon as Charlie started the tour. He's reading a book and stretching out his feet towards the fire, and somehow it makes it homey.

When Charlie starts talking about showing me the skis in the garage so I can choose a pair to borrow, he lowers his book.

"Pumpkin, the girl just spent hours traveling. Perhaps she wants to see her room and unpack? Maybe have a moment to herself?"

I smile at him, and for some reason, I imagine him smoking a pipe. He's not old, maybe nearing fifty, but he has a calm energy about him, which seems to balance Charlie's chaos.

"Of course. Come on, Ellie."

"Let me," George gets up. "I'll show her and you have a seat."

Charlie beams up at him as he calmly walks out of the living room and grabs my bags.