55: The Ultimatum

"Where have you been?"

Olumide didn't miss the anger on Dami's face as he slid to his friend's side. His hands worked to adjust his bow tie and straighten his suit. He had missed the actual wedding ceremony. Now, they were taking pictures at the side of the tent facing the church.

"I had to—" Ajoke had begged him not to share the details of her fight with Tomiwa. "Something came up."

Dami smiled at the camera man as people joined them for another round of pictures but through gritted teeth he spoke. "It's more important than my wedding?"

"It was a life-or-death situation." Olumide let out a hot breath.

Dami turned to him and starred hard. He wasn't ready to share his sister's plight with anybody. Not when the people who could take action refused to. His sister would only leave that monster if he found a wife. It wasn't fair but he had to choose one.

"Look, I'm sorry for coming late. If I could do this any other way, I would've." Olumide removed his jacket.

"Just wait for me inside."

Olumide shrugged. He walked away from the groove where people gathered to take pictures with the new couple as he slung his hand over his shoulder. He walked past the tent towards the faux water fountain closer to the end of the church building and stood, watching water sprout from the golden sculpture of praying hands to the cement floor below.

Tomiwa had broken his sister. The man was a beast. He'd beat her up, broken her hand and left her on the floor, after sending the staff home. He didn't care what Ajoke had done or what Tomiwa imagined she had done. The man had no right.

He bowed his head, letting the wind hut him and cool his skin. Their parents wouldn't do anything. He took her to his own house—where he would be sure that Tomiwa couldn't find her and drag her back home. Not Muyiwa's. Muyiwa couldn't protect them anymore

He squeezed his jacket into a ball. There was nothing he could do about Ajoke's refusal to leave Tomiwa. She'd given him a condition. If he were married, it would take their parent's pressure off her and unto him. Then no one would badger her to return her to her husband. They could make snide comments but it wouldn't be a full onslaught. They would focus on him instead. At least until he had children.

There was only one woman he'd considered worthy of having his children. His jaw tightened. And she turned out to be the most unworthy woman. That scoundrel Matthew kept asking for bail. He'd confessed that he knew where she lived but he wouldn't talk unless he bailed out. His will was tougher than his skinny frame.

It was a tight situation. He wanted to know where he could find Romola but he also wanted that scoundrel to die in prison.

A hand touched his left shoulder. His body tensed as he turned. Yetunde's hand dropped from his shoulder and her pink lips spread in smile.

"What?"

"Are you drunk or something?" She asked.

He raised a brow.

"You just came and you're staring at the fountain."

"Is there anything wrong with wanting peace in my life?"

She eyed him. Her thick lashes dancing up her down as the wind played with the free attached mesh on her sequin blue spaghetti dress. A crown of flowers lay over her head and orange braids met in a suku above her head, cascading down with strands dancing in the wind.

"Why are you late?"

"Is that your business?"

"I don't know why you're angry but don't you dare put that anger on me. Here." She grabbed his hand and slapped a box in it.

"What is this?"

He starred at the box. It was a wine velvet ring box. His heart flew to his throat.

"Your sister asked me to give you."

"My sister? How?"

"She just arrived with her husband."

"What?!"

"She said she wrote a letter in it and that you should read it."

"Where is she?"

Yetunde eyed him taking a step away. "She's already sitting in the hall. Do you know she broke her arm? You better come inside. The bridal train entry is about to start."

Yetunde turned away and walked away towards the tent.

Olumide opened the box. A piece of paper had been squeezed between the bands of the ring. He pulled it out and recognized Joke's small scrawly writing.

"Tomiwa doesn't wear his ring anymore and at this point I'm more than ready to put mine away but I won't do it unless you give this to Yetunde. The day you propose is the day I meet my lawyer. If you don't do this, the next time he hits me, I won't call for help. Death has to be better than this.

P.S. I didn't tell him where to find me. Mom did." -Love, your big sister.