89: Panic

When Romola felt Olumide stir, she knew the man she had requested for had arrived.

Olumide's hand tensed around her head. She could feel the tension in his muscles but she stayed still, because she didn't have the strength to fly out of his hands.

She had to trust that he would do the right thing and help her get to the person she wanted. She wouldn't have taken chosen this path if Olumide failed to trust her from the start but now, she had to hope that all the faith she had in him was not based on his simple wish to save Modupe only.

She had to hope that there really was a part of him— the same part of him that had once got her heart beating; that part that had loved Yetunde enough to intervene; that same part that she had once fallen in love with— available to do the one task she had entrusted in him; that he didn't take away her one chance to right things simply because he could.

"Who is that?" She heard the other donor say.

"Ssh." Olumide resumed stroking her hair.

Romola would've cried if she still had some tears to shed. She was dried out, emotionally and physically. The only spark of life she had was her plan against Yetunde.

"I thought she said—"

"Shederach. That's not why I asked you to come."

Romola let out a sigh as her tearless sobs began to flow. Her plan would fall apart. How could she have chosen someone as weak as Olumide over Jide? Jide would not hesitate. He would've dragged her out of the couch without caring how she felt physically.

"I can't do this." Olumide said.

She felt him rise, taking her in his arms. He moved very fast. She could hear behind her; the protests of the nurse and then silence, a door opening, and cars speeding past. The heat of the sun warmed her skin very quickly.

He was taking her away. As he did when Yetunde poisoned her.

A car beeped. A car door opened and then he stopped.

A tear trickled down her cheeks and then another. Perhaps, she still had tears to shed. Was he taking away her only chance of avenging her sister? Would he let Yetunde win again? The first time, her mother had taken her away before she could clear her name. He had not given her a chance then. Now, it was much the same here.

"I can't do this." He said.

Then she felt him clutch her to his chest. His fingers wiped the tears on her cheeks as he hugged her tight, whispering, over and over. "I can't do this."

But then, he moved, speaking with each step. "I don't understand it but you saved Modupe. You can't be wrong, right?"

She didn't know where he was going but when he arrived, she was sure because the first thing she heard was the accusation in Yetunde's screeching voice.

"Romola. You conniving little—"

"If you touch her, I will slap you into next tomorrow." Olumide said.

"Mide, have you lost your senses?"

Romola heard clearly his sister's voice and then, a new female voice.

"Who are you to speak to her like that?"

She opened her eyes and caught the stiffening of Olumide's jaw. His mother was here. She expected his hands to weaken and slacken and for him to let her down but he held her even tighter. Maybe even prouder, if there was such a way.

"Olumide," Romola whispered. "It's time."

He nodded and set her on her feet but his hands wrapped around her, much the same way it had the first time she had fallen at Glass Court. It was secure and there was no room for an accidental slip or movement.

"Where is he?" She directed the question to Yetunde's father as he seemed to be the only put together person in the room. Him and Olumide's parents.

He didn't hide his hatred for her as he spoke. "He's getting his blood tested. We've done what you wanted. Now, go and donate your blood."

"Not yet."

"What?"

"You've really lost your mind."

"What else do you want?"

"Shebi I said it. Omo Ika ni obinrin. This girl is a child of wickedness."

The chorus of anger, entitlement and pain was exactly what she craved. She faced them all, then focused on her former best friend. Yetunde stared at her with trembling lips but all Romola saw was a woman who could and would not be stopped until there was nothing left for any one. Not even crumbs.

"We wait for the test result to arrive and I'll give two pints for every pint he can." She said.

"No. No. Daddy, no. Don't let her do this." Yetunde said.

"You identified him as the father, right? So he's an exact match. I've solved your problem of not having enough donors. Two pints for one." Romola said. "You're more than welcome, Yetunde. Although, I know you're not very grateful."

Yetunde screamed, taking off her heels and coming towards Romola. Romola felt her heart go into her throat. The shoes would be lodged in her face before she could force her sluggish body to react.

Yetunde never made it. In fact, Yetunde fell backwards and landed on the tile, the shoe flying in the other direction.

"Mide?" It was Ajoke that spoke first.

Romola felt the timber in his voice as he pulled her behind him, shielding her from the looks of his family with his body. "I meant what I said. If anybody touches her, they'll get times ten of that treatment from me. I swear. Dad, you're not exempted."

"But what if— What if the father's blood doesn't match?" Ayo asked, from the corner where she sat.

"Don't you dare." Yetunde hurled off her other shoe and threw it in Ayo's direction, only missing because Ayo fled.

Romola wrapped her hand around Olumide torso even as the rest of the family waited for her response but he answered the question before she could.

"We do as she said. We wait."

That it had taken Sunbo's death and the threat to Modupe's life to get some form of respect from them killed her but, she would fight this battle to the end with everything she had.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Bonus Chapter.

Next update is on Friday.

Quick question: I want to connect with you off Wattpad so I can let you know of new books, new update schedules and discounts for my books on sale. How would you like me to connect with you?

a) My Facebook Page

b) My blog

C) Email Newsletter

d) Instagram posts and  stories

e) Others. Please mention. 

Thanks